X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistically validate number of exons and isoforms

Hello to everybody,

I was reading the following paper,

Derrien, T; Johnson, R; Bussotti, G; Tanzer, A; Djebali, S; Tilgner, H; Guernec, G; Martin, D; Merkel, A; Knowles, DG; Lagarde, J; Veeravalli, L; Ruan, X; Ruan, Y; Lassmann, T; Carninci, P; Brown, JB; Lipovich, L; Gonzalez, JM; Thomas, M; Davis, CA; Shiekhattar, R; Gingeras, TR; Hubbard, TJ; Notredame, C; Harrow, J; Guigó, R (Sep 2012). "The GENCODE v7 catalog of human long noncoding RNAs: analysis of their gene structure, evolution, and expression.". Genome Research 22 (9): 1775–89
    which has the following figure:

For B and C figures, they apply a t-test in order to know if coding and lncRNAs have significativelly different exon, intron and transcript lengths. However, in figures A and D, they do not mention any statistical analysis. Might that data (figures A and D) be analyzed using another t-test?

Thanks.
    Last edited by int11ap1; 07-18-2014, 01:27 AM.

No, and they shouldn't have used a T-test with the other results in that figure (they should have used a Wilcoxon test).

Subfigures A and D should be analyzed with ordered logistic regression.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      No, and they shouldn't have used a T-test with the other results in that figure (they should have used a Wilcoxon test).
      Because they are not normally distributed, right? What if I apply a log transformation? They should be nearly normal then.

Could you be more specific about ordered logistic regression, please?

Thanks for answering.
      Last edited by int11ap1; 07-18-2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Yeah, log transforming them might make them normal enough.

I'm not sure how much more specific I could be about ordered logistic regression. You can do that easily in R, if that's what you want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
          Yeah, log transforming them might make them normal enough.

I'm not sure how much more specific I could be about ordered logistic regression. You can do that easily in R, if that's what you want to know.
          I do not understand how could I compare two populations just doing a regression...

Another question, if I perform a Wilcoxon test for the other data and the two populations are significantly not the same, should I look at the median to see what population is more expressed?

Comment

A T-test is a regression. An Anova is a regression. Most of the statistics you've ever done have been regressions, even if you didn't know it (in fact, a T-test and an ANOVA are just special cases of linear models).

Regarding the Wilcoxon, yes, looking at the median would be a good way to go.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
              Yesterday, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses