Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can bowtie align mates individually if they don't match?

Hello,

I am trying to use Bowtie for paired end read alignment, using SAM as the output format. If mates align within a specified insert size on the same chromosome, then alignments of two mates are reported with flags 99 and 147, or 163 and 83.

I was wondering if there is way to make bowtie to report alignments of mates even if they don't match (i.e. they don't fall into the insert size, potentially on different chromosomes)? I see that there are flag combinations that could allow such report in SAM, but I wasn't able to find settings that could make Bowtie do that.

thanks.
    "Let’s start with the three fundamental Rules of Robotics...."

Better handling of discordant read pairs is a feature of Bowtie 2. From the FAQ:

Bowtie 2's paired-end alignment mode is more flexible than Bowtie 1's. For example, for pairs that do not align in a paired fashion, it will attempt to find unpaired alignments for each mate.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses