Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arvid View Post
    RAM up to ~32 GB is quite cheap; this week I bought another 8 GB for my workstation, which cost us less than US$ 100 (computer brand memory, I guess you can get it much cheaper). I'd invest a few hundred dollars to get a 8 core 16 GB machine, with that you can do expression analysis quite well, in my opinion (no de novo assembly stuff, however)... Or buy cloud computing time.
    Thanks for the advice! I've been looking for a machine that has 8 core, but I couldn't find anything that was commercially available for that (unless it was a MacPro, which was $12000). What kind of PC do you have? Did you just build it yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by billstevens View Post
      Thanks for the advice! I've been looking for a machine that has 8 core, but I couldn't find anything that was commercially available for that (unless it was a MacPro, which was $12000). What kind of PC do you have? Did you just build it yourself?
      I've sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alexdobin View Post
        1. Yes, STAR detects insertions and deletions
        2. The minimum intron size is determined by the --scoreDelLmax (=20 by default). If the genomic gap is below that value, it's considered deletion, otherwise - intron. The maximum intron size is approximately determined by winAnchorDistNbins*2^winBinNbits = 9*2^16~600kbases by default, which we think works well for mammalian genomes, but you can increase it at will by increasing --winAnchorDistNbins. There is yet another parameter --winFlankNbins that determines maximum gap for lower confidence introns: winFlankNbins*2^winBinNbits.
        Ok, I might try it out. I suppose you can *lower* these settings as well? For e.g. Arabidopsis I'd set something like 3-10k bases for max intron size (3 for lower FDR, 10 for maximum sensitivity) and ~10 bases as minimum intron size... At the moment GSNAP performs better than TopHat with such settings (in my hands at least) - but I'd be interested in trying alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by arvid View Post
          Ok, I might try it out. I suppose you can *lower* these settings as well? For e.g. Arabidopsis I'd set something like 3-10k bases for max intron size (3 for lower FDR, 10 for maximum sensitivity) and ~10 bases as minimum intron size... At the moment GSNAP performs better than TopHat with such settings (in my hands at least) - but I'd be interested in trying alternatives.
          You can lower the settings, in your case I would recommend
          --scoreDelLmax 10 --winAnchorDistNbins 3 --winBinNbits 12 --winFlankNbins 1
          That would give the max intron size for high/low confidence of 12/4kb.

If you decide to try STAR and have any questions/problems please email me at dobin~at~cshl.edu

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
          0 responses