No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short sequence alignment

Hi all,
    I am currently looking for a software to do alignments of short reads against other short sequences (so not the whole genome). The only problem is: I want to do a lot of these alignments. So instead of aligning Xmio reads to one big sequence, my goal is to align them against 10k (or so) very short sequences. Does anybody know a suitable software?

Regards

€: I should add that I'm not aiming on multiple sequence alignments.
    Last edited by rboettcher; 03-07-2011, 05:58 AM.

We have done something like this using bwa. We made an artificial reference 'genome' from 3000 short (5-15Kb) fragments treating each fragment as a chromosome. We then aligned several lanes of Illumina data against this quite happily.

Comment

I would prefer something not relying on prior indexing, so a fast implementation of Needleman-Wunsch or Hirschberg-algorithm would be sufficient I suppose, as long as it is accessible by console.

Comment

Novoalign does full Needleman-Wunsch after seeding matches. You can also map short reads to small fragments.

Comment

Adding to Zees comment, Novoalign indexing step is very fast for small references so it shouldn't be an issue.

I was also wondering if you're interested in alignments that overlap rather than are contained in your short target sequences. If you are then you could add N's to both ends of the short sequences that you index.

Comment

No overlaps, just aligning the sequences to a number of short reference sequences. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Novoalign to run on my system

Comment

What problem did you have with Novoalign?

Comment

May be you can use Abacas.

Comment

PatternHunter?

Wang, Yuezhou, et al. “Pharmacological Targeting of Vacuolar H+-ATPase via Subunit V1G Combats Multidrug-Resistant Cancer.” Cell Chemical Biology, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.chembiol.2020.06.011. Abstract Multidrug resistance (MDR) in cancer remains a major challenge for the success of chemotherapy. Natural products have been a rich source for the discovery of drugs against MDR cancers. Here, we applied high-throughput cytotoxicity...

Comment

Thank you all very much for your suggestions, but I guess none of the aligners mentioned is really meant to do what I intend it to do, as far as I can tell from studying the manuals/faqs.
                    So after some consideration, I decided to implement a simple NW-algorithm and after switching from Perl to Java the speed is acceptable.
                    I had hoped I could skip this step but it seems there is no real alternative.
                    Thanks anyway, I guess you will read about my next problems soon enough on the forums

Best Regards

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                    0 responses