No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to identify the Up and down Regulated genes from Cuff diff output

Dear All,

How to identify the Up and down regulated genes from the diff genes, I got diffgenes using Cummerbund codes.

In my diff_gene.txt file could see most of the log2fold change values are +inf and -inf. From the list how to separate the up and down regulated genes??

Cheers

Sridhar
    Last edited by sridhar28; 10-23-2013, 08:00 AM. Reason: link not attached

Hey Sridhar,

I am also getting similar results (+inf and -inf) on some of the log2fold change values. I believe this is happening because one of the conditions has a value of 0.

I am reading through cuffdiff documentation to sort out whether this is due to normalization or processing issue, or whether I actually have zero reads for some transcripts. I doubt the latter is the case, based on my data of identical cell lines with different treatments, and high coverage of the ran-seq reads.

Comment

Hello,

In my view, ​​-inf and inf values, are effectively due to a division by 0 when calculating the fold-change.

For example in a test_vs_control comparison, inf value for a gene means that there is many reads in test condition and 0 in the control. And conversely, -inf value for a gene means that there is 0 read for this gene in test condition and many in control condition.

Do not ignore these genes, because if the p-value is significant, they can be considered deregulated.

For me, there are two solutions, a "clean solution" and "less clean solution".

- clean solution => replace the 0 values by a non-zero value (1 for example) and recalculate the fold-change for these genes.

- less clean solution, but simpler => if the exact value of the fold-change is not important to you, and you only use it to filter the differentially expressed genes, just replace the inf & -inf values by a large value (-1000 and 1000 for example). Thus, you can select those genes that have a high fold-change (if the p-value is significant of course).

Otherwise, to select genes differentially expressed, you can filter diff_gene.txt file according to two criteria, the log2-fold change and p-value. Generally a gene is considered significant if its p-value is less than 0.05, but it is up to you to set a threshold. In addition, you can consider that a gene is truly differentially expressed if its log2 fold-change is > 1 or < -1. But again, it's up to you to set that threshold.

Thus, down-regulated genes have a fold-change <= -1 and a p-value <= 0.05 and up-regulated genes have a fold-change >= 1 and a p-value <= 0.05.

I hope these ideas will help you.
      (PS: sorry if my english is bad, this language is not my native language)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses