SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installation of Burrows-Wheeler Alignment Tool (bwa) on Mac MMPE General 11 06-02-2015 04:56 AM
BWA installation problems seq_GA Bioinformatics 22 04-28-2015 05:15 PM
454 emPCR failure mystery OllyBolly 454 Pyrosequencing 2 11-07-2011 01:06 AM
Velvet - hybrid assembly failure Blaize De novo discovery 7 12-05-2010 11:45 PM
bwa installation problem on ia64 t59175 Bioinformatics 7 11-05-2010 01:29 AM

Old 05-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Jurek

Default BWA installation failure

Hello World,

I downloaded the bwa version 5.7 and cannot compile it.

[[email protected] bwa-0.5.7]$ make
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Jurek/Desktop/bwa2/bwa-0.5.7'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `lib'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Jurek/Desktop/bwa2/bwa-0.5.7'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Jurek/Desktop/bwa2/bwa-0.5.7/bwt_gen'
gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -m64 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwt_gen.c -o bwt_gen.o
bwt_gen.c:1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in
make[1]: *** [bwt_gen.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Jurek/Desktop/bwa2/bwa-0.5.7/bwt_gen'
make: *** [lib-recur] Error 1

What am I doing wrong (I appreciate it may be very simple)?
Jurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
lh3

Remove -m64 from the "CFLAGS" line in Makefile. Nonetheless, bwa works better on 64-bit machines.
lh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
Jurek

It worked. Thank you!
Jurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
chrisW

Default similar install problems

Greetings, I am novice as novice can be. I have a rudimentary knowledge of things UNIX, so understanding the error messages is currently difficult. I had a similar error wrt -m64. I removed that from the CFLAGS line and now have different errors. To whit:

Error code 127, which follows immediately after 2 lines that start "gcc" and two lines that appear to be instructing some change to

ar -cru libbwtgen.a bwt_gen.o QSufSort.o

and then the following Stop messages:

Stop in .../bwa-0.5.7/bwt_gen (line 18 of Makefile) Error code 1

Stop in..../bwa-0.5.7 (line 33 of Makefile)

Any help would be much appreciated!
chrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
chrisW

Default similar install problems

Greetings, I am novice as novice can be. I have a rudimentary knowledge of things UNIX, so understanding the error messages is currently difficult. I had a similar error wrt -m64. I removed that from the CFLAGS line and now have different errors. To whit:

Error code 127, which follows immediately after 2 lines that start "gcc" and two lines that appear to be instructing some change to

and then the following Stop messages:

Stop in .../bwa-0.5.7/bwt_gen (line 18 of Makefile) Error code 1

Stop in..../bwa-0.5.7 (line 33 of Makefile)

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
raela

It would be more helpful if you could produce the full results of 'make'. You can use code tags to keep the paste to a reasonable size. Try [code]make results here.[/code]
raela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
chrisW

I should note that I'm using a Windows 7 machine. I have downloaded the Subsystem for Unix-based apps and have been teaching myself the basic use of Korn Shell. When I type "make" into the ksh prompt the following appears:

ar: Either the AR_LIBRARIAN environment variable must be set
ar: or you must include the directory containing 'lib.exe' in PATH
***Error code 127

Stop in /dev/fs/C/Users/my.name/Desktop/Mastigo-genomics/bwa-0.5.7/bwt_gen (line 18 of Makefile).
***Error Code 1

Stop in /dev/fs/C/Users/my.name/Desktop/Mastigo-genomics/bwa-0.5.7 (line 33 of Makefile).
Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
drio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisW View Post
I should note that I'm using a Windows 7 machine. I have downloaded the Subsystem for Unix-based apps and have been teaching myself the basic use of Korn Shell. When I type "make" into the ksh prompt the following appears:

ar: Either the AR_LIBRARIAN environment variable must be set
ar: or you must include the directory containing 'lib.exe' in PATH
***Error code 127

Stop in /dev/fs/C/Users/my.name/Desktop/Mastigo-genomics/bwa-0.5.7/bwt_gen (line 18 of Makefile).
***Error Code 1

Stop in /dev/fs/C/Users/my.name/Desktop/Mastigo-genomics/bwa-0.5.7 (line 33 of Makefile).
Are you using cygwin?

If not install it: http://www.cygwin.com/

It will install the POSIX libraries and the environment to compile bwa and other open sources tools.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
t59175

Default not enough memory allocated

Hello,

I am using bwa-0.5.8c and I got an installation failure Error 1. After successful compilation without -m4 in the CFLAGS line, I got an error message saying not enough memory allocated when running it. I have 136G memory. I'd like to know how to allocate more memory. Thanks,
t59175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
t59175

If the 32bit installation restricted memmory usage to about 3GB. Then Can onyone tell me how to install it on ia64 machine? Thanks.
t59175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
fenciso

Hello,

I am new using bwa. I am trying to install bwa-0.5.9 but I can not compile it:

make[1]: Entering directory `/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9'
make[1]: Entering directory `/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwt_gen'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwt_gen'
gcc -g -Wall -O2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD utils.o bwt.o bwtio.o bwtaln.o bwtgap.o is.o bntseq.o bwtmisc.o bwtindex.o stdaln.o simple_dp.o bwaseqio.o bwase.o bwape.o kstring.o cs2nt.o bwtsw2_core.o bwtsw2_main.o bwtsw2_aux.o bwt_lite.o bwtsw2_chain.o bamlite.o main.o -o bwa -lm -lz -lpthread -Lbwt_gen -lbwtgen
utils.o: In function `err_xzopen_core':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/utils.c:61: undefined reference to `egzopen'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/utils.c:60: undefined reference to `egzdopen'
bntseq.o: In function `ks_getuntil':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bntseq.c:37: undefined reference to `egzread'
bntseq.o: In function `ks_getc':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bntseq.c:191: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bntseq.c:37: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bntseq.c:237: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bntseq.c:237: undefined reference to `egzread'
bntseq.o: In function `bwa_fa2pac':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bntseq.c:265: undefined reference to `egzclose'
bwtindex.o: In function `bwa_index':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtindex.c:84: undefined reference to `egzclose'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtindex.c:92: undefined reference to `egzclose'
simple_dp.o: In function `ks_getuntil':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/simple_dp.c:11: undefined reference to `egzread'
simple_dp.o: In function `ks_getc':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/simple_dp.c:130: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/simple_dp.c:130: undefined reference to `egzread'
simple_dp.o: In function `load_seqs':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/simple_dp.c:83: undefined reference to `egzclose'
simple_dp.o: In function `aln_seqs':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/simple_dp.c:126: undefined reference to `egzclose'
bwaseqio.o: In function `ks_getuntil':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:8: undefined reference to `egzread'
bwaseqio.o: In function `bwa_seq_close':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:49: undefined reference to `egzclose'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:47: undefined reference to `egzclose'
bwaseqio.o: In function `bwa_bam_open':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:28: undefined reference to `egzopen'
bwaseqio.o: In function `ks_getc':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:105: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:8: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:177: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:177: undefined reference to `egzread'
bwtsw2_aux.o: In function `ks_getuntil':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtsw2_aux.c:18: undefined reference to `egzread'
bwtsw2_aux.o:/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtsw2_aux.c:624: more undefined references to `egzread' follow
bwtsw2_aux.o: In function `bsw2_aln':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtsw2_aux.c:648: undefined reference to `egzclose'
bamlite.o: In function `bam_read1':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:131: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:135: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:151: undefined reference to `egzread'
bamlite.o: In function `bam_header_read':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:80: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:87: undefined reference to `egzread'
bamlite.o:/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:90: more undefined references to `egzread' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bwa] Error 1

I do not what is the problem
fenciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
nilshomer
Nils Homer

The answer is found in this forum (try searching first):
http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6155
nilshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #13
l.miozzi

Hi,
I have the same problem. When I type "make", I obtained this error:
/home/lauram/bin/bwa-0.5.9/bwtsw2_aux.c:635: undefined reference to `egzread'
/home/lauram/bin/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:131: undefined reference to `egzread'
bamlite.o:/home/lauram/bin/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:135: more undefined references to `egzread' follow

Does anyone can help, please?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenciso View Post
Hello,

I am new using bwa. I am trying to install bwa-0.5.9 but I can not compile it:

make[1]: Entering directory `/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9'
make[1]: Entering directory `/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwt_gen'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwt_gen'
gcc -g -Wall -O2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD utils.o bwt.o bwtio.o bwtaln.o bwtgap.o is.o bntseq.o bwtmisc.o bwtindex.o stdaln.o simple_dp.o bwaseqio.o bwase.o bwape.o kstring.o cs2nt.o bwtsw2_core.o bwtsw2_main.o bwtsw2_aux.o bwt_lite.o bwtsw2_chain.o bamlite.o main.o -o bwa -lm -lz -lpthread -Lbwt_gen -lbwtgen
utils.o: In function `err_xzopen_core':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/utils.c:61: undefined reference to `egzopen'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/utils.c:60: undefined reference to `egzdopen'
bntseq.o: In function `ks_getuntil':
bntseq.o: In function `ks_getc':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bntseq.c:191: undefined reference to `egzread'
bntseq.o: In function `bwa_fa2pac':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bntseq.c:265: undefined reference to `egzclose'
bwtindex.o: In function `bwa_index':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtindex.c:84: undefined reference to `egzclose'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtindex.c:92: undefined reference to `egzclose'
simple_dp.o: In function `ks_getuntil':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/simple_dp.c:11: undefined reference to `egzread'
simple_dp.o: In function `ks_getc':
simple_dp.o: In function `load_seqs':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/simple_dp.c:83: undefined reference to `egzclose'
simple_dp.o: In function `aln_seqs':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/simple_dp.c:126: undefined reference to `egzclose'
bwaseqio.o: In function `ks_getuntil':
bwaseqio.o: In function `bwa_seq_close':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:49: undefined reference to `egzclose'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:47: undefined reference to `egzclose'
bwaseqio.o: In function `bwa_bam_open':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:28: undefined reference to `egzopen'
bwaseqio.o: In function `ks_getc':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwaseqio.c:105: undefined reference to `egzread'
bwtsw2_aux.o: In function `ks_getuntil':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtsw2_aux.c:18: undefined reference to `egzread'
bwtsw2_aux.o:/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtsw2_aux.c:624: more undefined references to `egzread' follow
bwtsw2_aux.o: In function `bsw2_aln':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bwtsw2_aux.c:648: undefined reference to `egzclose'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:131: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:135: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:151: undefined reference to `egzread'
bamlite.o: In function `bam_header_read':
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:80: undefined reference to `egzread'
/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:87: undefined reference to `egzread'
bamlite.o:/local/home/felix/cornell/bwa-0.5.9/bamlite.c:90: more undefined references to `egzread' follow

I do not what is the problem
l.miozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
nilshomer
Nils Homer

Did you follow the link or attempt at all to search for it? You can imagine our frustration when the post above gives a link to the answer?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #15
l.miozzi

I tried to follow the link but it didn't work, so I decided to post my problem.
Thanks to one of my colleagues I find out what was the problem...the ubuntu release in the server wasn't updated...so now everything is working.

Thanks

Laura
l.miozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
nilshomer
Nils Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.miozzi View Post
I tried to follow the link but it didn't work, so I decided to post my problem.
Thanks to one of my colleagues I find out what was the problem...the ubuntu release in the server wasn't updated...so now everything is working.

Thanks

Laura
Just tried the link, it links to seqanswers.com, so... I am glad you solved the problem.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #17
Fahim123

Hi,

I am new in the bio.
I need to install the BWA on my window but have problem by zlib
I have already downloaded the last version of BWA and the zlib and I use the Visual Studio 2017 for compiling.
I do not know how to run.
F:\BIO\bwa>make all
gcc -c -g -Wall -Wno-unused-function -O2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD -DUSE_MALLOC_WRAPPERS utils.c -o utils.o
utils.c:33:18: fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
#include <zlib.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [utils.o] Error 1

Would you please help me?
Fahim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #18
Sidrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahim123 View Post
Hi,

I am new in the bio.
I need to install the BWA on my window but have problem by zlib
I have already downloaded the last version of BWA and the zlib and I use the Visual Studio 2017 for compiling.
I do not know how to run.
F:\BIO\bwa>make all
gcc -c -g -Wall -Wno-unused-function -O2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD -DUSE_MALLOC_WRAPPERS utils.c -o utils.o
utils.c:33:18: fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
#include <zlib.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [utils.o] Error 1

Would you please help me?
Did you find the solution to this problem for windows?? I m also having the same problem.
Sidrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:40 PM   #19
musohail

Hello Colleagues

I have installed BWA-0.7.17 many times. It works fine. It has all the commands in it. It does well with BWA index.
But it doesnt work for bwa mem. saying mem is not a command.
Whe I type only bwa. it gives all other command options except mem.
On my other computer it also have mem command but I do not use that computer. Please help

Usage: bwa <command> [options]

Command: index index sequences in the FASTA format
aln gapped/ungapped alignment
samse generate alignment (single ended)
sampe generate alignment (paired ended)
bwasw BWA-SW for long queries
fastmap identify super-maximal exact matches

fa2pac convert FASTA to PAC format
pac2bwt generate BWT from PAC
pac2bwtgen alternative algorithm for generating BWT
bwtupdate update .bwt to the new format
bwt2sa generate SA from BWT and Occ