No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genomic DNA fragmentation

Hello,

We will soon do our first sequencing run on our new HiSeq 1000 system. In the past, we analyzed NGS data, but we are yet to prepare a library ourselves. I am currently looking into fragmentation methods, mostly to fragment bacterial DNA for metagenomics studies. We have no Covaris system available, so we are not able to follow the protocol suggested by Illumina. However, some collegues have told me of another fragmentation method they used for hybridization. Basically, DNA to fragment is mixed with small glass beads in a 2 ml tube. The tube is then immersed in a sonicator bath for the appropriate time to obtain the right fragment distribution. I am told this protocol allows to generate a homogenous fragment distribution around 400-500 nt.

I was wondering if this protocol could produce fragments suitable for library preparation (if the illumina end-repair protocol is used afterwards) for illumina thru seq sample prep protocol.

Thank you,

Frédéric Raymond
    Centre de recherche en infectiologie
    Université Laval, Québec, Canada

400-500 bp should be fine, although I'm not completely familiar with TruSeq. I'd be surprised if it wasn't fine, though.

Comment

TruSeq uses the canonical blunt/phosphorylate (presumably with T4 poly/T4PNK) followed by A-tailing (klenow, I presume) "end polishing" methodology. So, as long as the beads don't convert most of the DNA to single-stranded, etc, it should work.

Another option would be nebulization. (I think this is actually called for in the TruSeq protocol.) This just requires a N2 tank, an appropriate pressure regulator and consumable nebulizers you can obtain from Illumina.

--
      Phillip

Comment

We have been using the Diagenode Bioruptor routinely to obtain 400-500bp fragments. We previously used Fragmentase (NEB) before receiving our sonicator, which is a good alternative if you don't want to buy a new instrument. Both work fine, although the sonicator gives more reliable results. In our experience, the Fragmentase varied more with different DNA samples.

Comment

hi Phillip, I want to know how to test the single-stranded DNA after fragmentation. do you have any good methods? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lterhune View Post
            We have been using the Diagenode Bioruptor routinely to obtain 400-500bp fragments. We previously used Fragmentase (NEB) before receiving our sonicator, which is a good alternative if you don't want to buy a new instrument. Both work fine, although the sonicator gives more reliable results. In our experience, the Fragmentase varied more with different DNA samples.
            hi Iterhune,we recently used Bioruptor to creat genomic DNA fragments about 300-400bp,but it doesn't concentrate. Can you give me some advice that I can get a concentrated fragments.The Bioruptor in our lab is Diogenode UCD 600.Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by coffee52 View Post
              hi Phillip, I want to know how to test the single-stranded DNA after fragmentation. do you have any good methods? Thanks!
              Probably the easiest way would be to check your sample concentration with a fluorimeter using a ds-specific fluor (eg, picogreen) before and after fragmentation. If the amount of dsDNA detected in this way decreases dramatically, then you would suspect there might be an issue.

However, there are caveats to the method. First, we have never tried it. DNA libraries seem pretty easy to make--no reason to look. Second, if your fragmentation method converts a large percentage of your sample to mono or oligo nucleotides, then this will also be detected by pre/post fluorimetry. So it would not distinguish between the two possibilities.

--
              Phillip

Comment

We also have the problem that the fragments it doesn't concentrate after Bioruptor. we get fragments about 200-800bp after Diagenode Bioruptor UCD 200.

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                  Probably the easiest way would be to check your sample concentration with a fluorimeter using a ds-specific fluor (eg, picogreen) before and after fragmentation. If the amount of dsDNA detected in this way decreases dramatically, then you would suspect there might be an issue.

However, there are caveats to the method. First, we have never tried it. DNA libraries seem pretty easy to make--no reason to look. Second, if your fragmentation method converts a large percentage of your sample to mono or oligo nucleotides, then this will also be detected by pre/post fluorimetry. So it would not distinguish between the two possibilities.

--
                  Phillip
                  I see. Thank you very much!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses