Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help looking for Motif Search Programs!

Hi I'm in need of some help. I need to find a motif with an ambiguous amino acid among sequences that range from 4 to 18 million long. I have a computer with 128 gb of RAM using Windows 7 and I've run motif searches with the programs CLC and Geneious, however, they take too long as they are very processor heavy. I initially tried blast, however, I found that blast does not do well with ambiguous amino acids. Any input would be greatly helpful!

Try scan_for_matches:

Comment

Thanks! However, after reading the instructions I found that it was CPU intensive not RAM intensive. Do you have any programs that runs primarily on RAM?
      Thanks,
      Minkyu

Comment

Originally posted by Minkyu View Post
        Thanks! However, after reading the instructions I found that it was CPU intensive not RAM intensive. Do you have any programs that runs primarily on RAM?
        Thanks,
        Minkyu
        Well, first all, all programs run in RAM. The issue is that those kinds of searches inherently are cpu intensive. It has nothing really to do with RAM. As long as you have enough RAM to load the search items and query string completely into RAM, then you have maximized your use of RAM and any limitation you experience is the result of computational effort.

The only thing you could do is run the search on a cluster, and partition the search items across multiple nodes (ie. each compute node only searches for a subset of the total sequences in your search set), so no one node has to bear the entire computational load.
        Michael Black, Ph.D.
        ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses