Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq fastQ quality scores

I have fastQ files as output from MiSeq, 300bp directional reads. I would like to plot the distribution of quality scores for all bases (using Perl, Gnuplot or R).

I can't find definite information on how to interpret the quality string in fastQ-files coming from MiSeq.

Could anyone point me to this info? Thanks!

You might like to try FastQC : http://www.bioinformatics.babraham.a...ojects/fastqc/

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel View Post
      I have fastQ files as output from MiSeq, 300bp directional reads. I would like to plot the distribution of quality scores for all bases (using Perl, Gnuplot or R).

I can't find definite information on how to interpret the quality string in fastQ-files coming from MiSeq.

Could anyone point me to this info? Thanks!
      Information about the FASTQ format can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTQ_format With MiSeq you are looking at quality scores in the "L" (Illumina 1.8+) format as referred to in the Wikipedia article.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
        Information about the FASTQ format can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTQ_format With MiSeq you are looking at quality scores in the "L" (Illumina 1.8+) format as referred to in the Wikipedia article.
        @GenoMax: Thanks. I have read the Wikipedia article previously, but I find it ambiguously formulated and I don't know what the "Illumina pipeline" is. As a reader of that article, I know I using MiSeq now but it looks like this was writen only with respect to HiSeq.

I am not trying to argue, just pointing out that the Wikipedia article is a bit unclear on that point.

@kadircanir: Thanks for pointing out this program! It is excellent.

Comment

PRINCESEQ can produce decent graphs

Comment

You can also use the FASTX toolkit (just remember to use the -Q33 setting!) to produce quality graphs over cycle. With 300 cycles the cycle numbers will all moosh together a bit though.

Comment

Originally posted by kadircaner View Post
              FastQC works well

Comment

Hopefully, the plots generated by BaseSpace for the MiSeq output will be exportable into plots soon, that might ease some of this extra effort a bit!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses