Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another approach is linear amplification using in vitro transcription.
    Linear amplification for deep sequencing (LADS) is an amplification method that produces representative libraries for Illumina next-generation sequencing within 2 d. The method relies on attaching two different sequencing adapters to blunt-end repaired and A-tailed DNA fragments, wherein one of the …

Amplification-free paper
    The library preparation step is of critical importance for the quality of next-generation sequencing data. The use of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) as a part of the standard Illumina library preparation protocol causes an appreciable proportion of the obtained sequences to be duplicates, makin …

Comment

Originally posted by ndelaney View Post
      We found that about half of this unexplained dispersion is due to a bias against GC rich sequences, and that local GC content (within 10-20 bp) is the strongest determinant of the differences in sequencing coverage, and this influence decreases to about 100 bp away from the center base, where GC content matters little if at all.

How did you determine this? Did you write your own script or did you use a software package?

On GC bias and PCR, clearly the best is to go PCR-free but if you must do PCR, Kapa Biosciences says their polymerase reduces GC bias as compared to Phusion or the TruSeq polymerase (which they say is even worse then Phusion polymerase). The Kapa polymerase is more efficient (i.e. requires less cycles to achieve the same amplification) then Phusion in my hands so it would make sense.
      --------------
      Ethan

Comment

Hello. I'm working on a ChIP-Seq data set from an Illumina platform (I think GA but not sure) and I observe what looks like GA-bias in the first 5-6bp. Has anyone seen this before and does anybody have an explanation for it? So, in our data there seems to be a preference for A and G in the 5'-ends of the read.

Last edited by Arjan; 02-12-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I've seen weird biases in the first base pairs. I think it is a common problem. I just trim them off before mapping. Most mapping programs give you this option exactly for this reason. I don't run the machines so I don't know where it comes from.
          --------------
          Ethan

Comment

hmm. okay. i have been trying to find literature on this but to no success so far. thanks.

Comment

also, i'm pretty sure the data i'm looking at is real and that the bias is a preference for certain fragments over others. i think chopping them off may not change my results for the good. i am however interested in an explanation for this bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Arjan View Post
                also, i'm pretty sure the data i'm looking at is real and that the bias is a preference for certain fragments over others. i think chopping them off may not change my results for the good. i am however interested in an explanation for this bias.
                I could speculate... How about: the DNA has nicks at those sites? Then sonication might preferentially snap the chromatin strands there. Or, those sequences are preferred by T4 DNA ligase and get adapter ligated at a higher efficiency than others ends.

--
                Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by Arjan View Post
                  hmm. okay. i have been trying to find literature on this but to no success so far. thanks.
                  You might try looking at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20395217
                  The appropriate panel of figure 1 is nearly the same bias pattern as what you are showing.

Comment

How are you fragmenting your chromatin? There is usually a bias in the first few bases if you are digesting your chromatin with micrococcal nuclease (Mnase). Here is a link to a paper that talks about this:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses