No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting genbank annotation file from JGI

Hi All,

I would like to extract the genbank or (embl) annotation file from genomes sequenced at JGI. At JGI you can download the annotation of the genomes in gff format, and you can get the genome or CDS in fasta format.

So my question is:

Is there any way of retrieving the genbank file from jgi or do I have to use a conversion tool to generate the genbank file myself from the gff and fasta files.

If so, which conversion tool would you recommend (I guess people must have had this problem before, so I hope I don’t have to make a python converter myself)

Thanks!

See if one of the following works

Comment

No module named BCBio

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Thanks!

I tried to run the gff2genbank.py file from your github repository: https://github.com/chapmanb/bcbb/blo..._to_genbank.py

However I get an import error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "gff2genbank.py", line 13, in <module>
      from BCBio import GFF
      ImportError: No module named BCBio

I’ve tried to pip install

(gff2genbank)[user@cluster scripts]$ pip install bcbio-gff
      Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): bcbio-gff in /c3se/users/user/Glenn/virtualenvs/gff2genbank/lib/python2.7/site-packages
      Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): six in /c3se/users/user/Glenn/virtualenvs/gff2genbank/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from bcbio-gff)
      Cleaning up...

But it doesn’t help. Can you help me how to get the BCBio this module imported?

Specs: non-sudo user on a CentOS release 6.6 distro. Python 2.7.6 and biopython 1.62

Comment

There is a tool on the IMG that generates Genbank format directly - there is a button at the bottom of the genome main page ("Taxon Details") saying Export Genome Data and Generate Genbank File. It worked ok for what I wanted, which was to look at the annotation with Artemis.

The help says:

#############################################

This tool was provided to you as an aid. We do not guarantee the output is a valid Genbank format.
        You still need to spend extra effort to make the Genbank file accepted by NCBI. And we will no longer support this tool, why?

You may generate a custom Genbank File for one or more scaffolds.
        Your MyIMG gene annotation may override the default product name.
        (You must be logged into MyIMG to use your annotations.)
        If an IMG term is associated with a gene, this can also override the product name.
        IMG term, if present and the override option selected, also overrides MyIMG annotation.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses