SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Total RNA quality (Bioanalyzer trace attached) peromhc Sample Prep / Library Generation 26 10-12-2015 03:36 PM
RNA-seq technical replicates at library construction level obig Bioinformatics 9 08-15-2012 11:43 PM
Handmade mRNAseq library prep protocol w/ 10ng total RNA lukas1848 Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 11-02-2011 04:31 AM
total rna quality for library construction wayland Illumina/Solexa 3 10-13-2011 05:10 AM
Total RNA quality for 454 nathanjd Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 05-24-2010 06:19 AM

Old 04-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
neveaire

Default total RNA quality for library construction

Hi Everyone -

I've been given some RNA that was extracted from snap frozen mouse muscle (leg). The bioanalyzer tells me that the RNA is degraded (RIN ~2.5-3) with fragment sizes centered around 200-500 bases. Is it possible to make a library out of this? Ideally I'd like to ribodeplete the sample first.

Any thoughts appreciated.
neveaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
mnkyboy

It is possible if you follow a standard Illumina RNA prep then DSN treat that may help you with your degraded sample (also well help with ribosomal).

This is a method that works very well for FFPE samples and may work with degraded RNA.
mnkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
neveaire

Can you explain why DSN might help with degraded RNA? I understand the steps involved but not the reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkyboy View Post
It is possible if you follow a standard Illumina RNA prep then DSN treat that may help you with your degraded sample (also well help with ribosomal).

This is a method that works very well for FFPE samples and may work with degraded RNA.
neveaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
mnkyboy

I think it will remove most of your abundant products of RNA degradation allowing the lower mass amount of intact RNA to be detected. This was something Illumina claims and I have not tested it yet. They say DSN works for all low quality RNA samples including FFPE.
mnkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
pmiguel

If you denature a DNA sample and then allow renaturation for a limited amount of time, only those fragments of DNA that are most highly reiterated (high copy) in a sample will have time to form double stranded DNA. Why? Just because high copy fragments in a solution have a better chance of colliding with a complement than low copy--it takes them less time to do so.

Ribo depletion methods generally rely on the ribosomal RNA being intact because they bind a just a few sites on the large and small ribosomal sub-unit RNAs. If you had biotinylated oligos that bound every segment of the ribosomal RNA, then you could remove it all no matter how degraded it was.

A DSN, "Double Stranded Nuclease" will degrade the double stranded stuff, leaving lower copy DNA behind.

In just about any total RNA sample >85% of the RNA will be ribosomal RNA. So even if you completely skip ribo depletion, DSN normalization will degrade most of the rRNA cDNA before anything else.

The down-side is that once you normalize, you no longer can obtain quantitative data from your RNA-seq sample because you have heavily biased downward the higher copy RNA counts. But for de novo transcriptome work, it could work fine.

--
Phillip

Last edited by pmiguel; 04-06-2011 at 03:54 AM.
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote