Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Marco,

Now that I read those articles I wonder if SeqAnswers wouldn't deserve a full publication just as the BioStar paper...
    OK there's the time problem with regard to the publication to the Wiki, but that's already gonna be kind of close.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcowanger View Post
      Dear all,

Please note the papers that appear in Oct issue of PLoS Comp Bio

1> BioStar http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4125508/Comm...ce/BioStar.pdf
      2> "10 simple rules to get help from online community - by Wikigenes writing group"
      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4125508/Comm...es.writing.pdf
      Full titles for anyone searching (note Ten not 10);

Parnell et al. (2011) "BioStar: An Online Question & Answer Resource for the Bioinformatics Community"
      Bioinformatics,Computer software,Scientists,Cancer genomics,Genome analysis,Human genomics,Proteomic databases,Social influence

Dall'Olio et al. (2011) "Ten Simple Rules for Getting Help from Online Scientific Communities"
      Internet,Archives,Web-based applications,Computer software,Careers,Grammar,Human learning,Scientists

Comment

• Originally posted by ulz_peter View Post
        Hi Marco,

Now that I read those articles I wonder if SeqAnswers wouldn't deserve a full publication just as the BioStar paper...
        OK there's the time problem with regard to the publication to the Wiki, but that's already gonna be kind of close.
        i think SEQanswers still deserve, this is quite different from research paper...
        Marco

Comment

• Any timeline for submitting the letter? Sorry I've not been involved, I've been swamped with other work.

Has anyone volunteered to handle submission?

Cheers,
          Homepage: Dan Bolser
          MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan View Post
            Any timeline for submitting the letter? Sorry I've not been involved, I've been swamped with other work.

Has anyone volunteered to handle submission?

Cheers,
            i think probably I can.
            Marco

Comment

• Why not try the letter to Science and if that doesn't work we can extent the article to full length with more details. If we split up the parts, we might be able to get this done within 1-2 weeks. Just a thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by robs View Post
                Why not try the letter to Science and if that doesn't work we can extent the article to full length with more details. If we split up the parts, we might be able to get this done within 1-2 weeks. Just a thought.
                Cool, good to have great guys like you. And Peter as well.

Here you go

Edit it.

Just a few reminders to all (including myself of course)

1> Be concise
                2> Remember to take the publication of BioStar paper into account (appreciation)
                3> Differentiation. We are not only Q&A site.
                4> No buzz words
                Marco

Comment

• Sorry but what do you mean with "buzz" words?

Comment

• just in case someone is wondering: I am the "Anonymous" who did the changes, but when I am logging in, Google changes the language to Thai...

Comment

• I just read the draft(s), I am referring to the longer version. Two points:

1.) "...incorporating all of the myriad platforms currently in use..." this sounds way to exaggerated. You can count the sequencing platforms available on the fingers of your two hands, that's not exactly a myriad. Even if you take a look at the different flavours of sequencing (se, pe, RNA-Seq, 5' biased variants...) they are not that many really. I would remove that paragraph entirely.

2.) The current wording downplays the level of discussion on SEQanswers. The overall level of discussion is higher, and much more specific than many posts that I have read on BioStar. In particular I find this strange: "It is a source of information to beginners of all types and backgrounds, from high school interns to MBA's". This is simply not correct, one needs to have a fairly good background to even *understand* what most question on SEQanswers are about, let alone know the solution.

Instead, I would emphasize that SEQanswers addresses grad students, post-docs and senior researchers who ask and answer about problems of technical relevance, with the aim of finding solutions to progress their research. Also it should be stressed that many of the posters who answer, are the actual authors of the tools they answer about - this is important!

P.S.: I wouldn't want to be on the list of authors I think, because if this *really* gets published in Science I would feal cheap for getting a co-authorship on a Science publication so easily, so I am just commenting here my ideas for improvement and if you like it, please feel free to apply to the text.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel View Post
                        I just read the draft(s), I am referring to the longer version. Two points:

1.) "...incorporating all of the myriad platforms currently in use..." this sounds way to exaggerated. You can count the sequencing platforms available on the fingers of your two hands, that's not exactly a myriad. Even if you take a look at the different flavours of sequencing (se, pe, RNA-Seq, 5' biased variants...) they are not that many really. I would remove that paragraph entirely.

2.) The current wording downplays the level of discussion on SEQanswers. The overall level of discussion is higher, and much more specific than many posts that I have read on BioStar. In particular I find this strange: "It is a source of information to beginners of all types and backgrounds, from high school interns to MBA's". This is simply not correct, one needs to have a fairly good background to even *understand* what most question on SEQanswers are about, let alone know the solution.

Instead, I would emphasize that SEQanswers addresses grad students, post-docs and senior researchers who ask and answer about problems of technical relevance, with the aim of finding solutions to progress their research. Also it should be stressed that many of the posters who answer, are the actual authors of the tools they answer about - this is important!
                        I thought we were focusing on the shorter one and the end now, "Trimmed letter: Draft #1", but those are good points regarding the longer version and I agree with them.

Comment

• The trimmed version and the Google Doc version do not contain these paragraphs.

I think we should now focus on the Google Doc version.

Comment

• I modified the wiki page to get people to start using the Google document

Comment

• Originally posted by andreas.sjodin View Post
                              I modified the wiki page to get people to start using the Google document
                              thanks Andreas
                              Marco

Comment

• Originally posted by ulz_peter View Post
                                just in case someone is wondering: I am the "Anonymous" who did the changes, but when I am logging in, Google changes the language to Thai...
                                I think you have to login to gmail first? Otherwise it shows u as anonymous....
                                Marco

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses