Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you believe it is an amp by-product, why not sequence a sample of it on a capillary instrument and verify?

If your goal is to remove the smaller fragment, we cleanup our samples with the Aggencourt AmPure product? We see significant dropoff of any products under ~90bps and nearly 100% recovery.

Comment

Unless there is something going on that I haven't figured out yet I think the peaks you are describing for the PE amplification are amplified primers as I am seeing them too. However, the size of the peaks are larger, around 125 bp, though there is a tiny peak around 66 bp as well. In previous libraries I've seen a very strong 150-160bp peak that I know was amplified adapters that resulted from me cutting too far down on the gel after the ligation step. I've already sent these current samples for sequencing, I'll know for sure in a week or two whether they are adapters or primers.

In the attached images are my last two libraries. One is a library made from 100ng of input DNA and the other I used 1000 ng. Other than that and the day I made them on they are identical in construction (also, I use a 1:30 dilution of adapter instead of 1:10). Another person in my lab is using the same paired-end protocol and he has seen the same pattern. It was also present in a no-template control reaction, so we're confident it's just amplified primers. He has been optimizing the PCR step and has found that raising the annealing temp didn't prevent the peak from appearing and neither did adding DMSO to the reaction. The only thing that worked for him was to optimize the primer concentration. The concentration of the primers Illumina provides (or tells you to use if you ask them) is 25 uM. Thus in the PCR the [final] = 1 uM. For standard PCR I've always used [final] = 0.4 uM, and that is for 25 or more cycles! Although I am using the PE adapters/primers I've been using 18 cycles of PCR as written for the single-end adapter protocol. I'm not sure if I used 12 cycles as written for the PE protocol that it would make much difference as the products amplified in the first few cycles are most important for the final outcome. I can always just run the PCR on a gel and purify the library from the primers but the problem is at the PCR step. I think the primer concentration Illumina is suggesting is too high. Any opinions on that?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by captainentropy; 06-22-2009, 12:15 PM. Reason: forgot to add an important point

Comment

The pre-PCR gel extracted product should be characterized in terms of OD ratio and concentration and this would act as a validation step prior to PCR. This pre-PCR quality may greatly influence the required amount of starting materials and number of thermal cycles required for PCR-ing. If we could share info about pre-PCR characterization, post PCR characterization, insert size, and PCR settings on successful sequence runs, this would be very helpful to the community.

Comment

agreed csoong. However, if you are using ChiPed DNA you might only have a few nanograms to work with. That is hard too quantitate much less get a 260/280 ratio.

In my lab we're pretty sure the peaks we are/were seeing come from the PCR primers. Once I get my sequence back I should know for sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by captainentropy View Post
            ....The concentration of the primers Illumina provides (or tells you to use if you ask them) is 25 uM. Thus in the PCR the [final] = 1 uM. For standard PCR I've always used [final] = 0.4 uM, and that is for 25 or more cycles!
            1ul [25uM] in 50ul PCR reaction, [final] = 0.5uM

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses