No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedupe on assembled RNA-Seq?

Hi,

I am trying to get rid of "redundant" sequences from a trinity assembly. I used dedupe.sh to get rid of duplicates in the illumina source files and got a very good result.

After assembling with trinity I get 85497 output sequences. If I cluster these with cd-hit at 95% I get 69413 clusters (mostly with >99% identity).

How can I extract a single sequence from each cluster (the longest I assume)? I'm not sure how to go from the cd-hit clstr file to getting the largest sequence of each cluster out of my assembled fasta file...

I tried to use dedupe on the assembled file but it only removed 2 sequences (which I assume were identical). What flag would I set to remove duplicates at the 99% identity level?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Well, I found (to my chagrin) that cd-hit has an aux tools package containing the cd-hit-dup tool.

I do not, however, get the same results using cd-hit-est and cd-hit-dup.

If I use cd-hit with the following parameters:

cd-hit-est -i in.fasta -o out -c 0.95 -n 10 -d 0 - T 20

I get 85497 finished 69413 clusters

i.e. 69413 clusters from 85497 starting sequences.

If I use cd-hit-dup with the following parameters:

cd-hit-dup -i in.fasta -o out-nodupes.fasta -m false -e 0.05 -f true

Which as far as I know should have the same similarity cut-off (95%) and remove smaller sequences (-m false) and chimeras, I get:

Number of reads: 85497
    Number of clusters found: 82927
    Number of chimeric clusters found: 6

i.e 82921 clusters from 85497 starting sequences.

Can someone suggest an explanation for the such a huge difference?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I think what you want is software that calls a consensus sequence from each cluster, rather than dedupe.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses