SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creating Transcriptome File for Use With BWA from GTF file and genomic fasta file PolPittacus7 Bioinformatics 4 07-17-2015 10:45 AM
How to make .bam file to .bai file format under MS Window7 operating system? Min Jung Lee Bioinformatics 6 11-21-2014 01:06 PM
Trying to make sense of cufflinks output (--GTF vs. --GTF-guide) lethalfang Bioinformatics 0 05-25-2014 01:27 PM
How to make Samtools to output both SNP and INDEL variants? shuang Bioinformatics 3 05-21-2013 12:02 PM
Does anyone make your own gtf file? awenxu RNA Sequencing 0 05-30-2012 01:36 AM

Old 09-25-2015, 04:12 AM   #1
JdevSEQnoob

Default I Have Variants and positions and need to make a GTF file. Help

Hi,
I'm very new to this and I'm working on my first project. I have a list of Variants and their location. I have been tasked with creating a GTF file of this data and then seeing where the data points land. I have searched and have a wealth of knowledge on what makes up the GTF file, why its used, blah blah. But I Still have no idea how to convert the limited amount of data (3 columns) of data that i have into the larger file format of GTF. Please advise. It'd be MUCH appreciated!

The goal of this piece of the project is to use the coordinates of Variants to find their location in the annotation and then visualize it.

Last edited by JdevSEQnoob; 09-25-2015 at 04:34 AM.
JdevSEQnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Just skip making a GTF and use the VCF file that you presumably already have. You can directly use a VCF file with IGV for visualization or things like bedtools for whatever sorts of intersects you might find useful. It's quite likely that many of the tools that you want to use already support the format you have.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotation, expression analysis, gtf