No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware requirements to run blastX

Hi all,
    Can anybody give me an estimation what are the hardware requirements to have BlastX locally installed run in a reasonable pace and work ok with 454 data?
    Many thanks!!!

"Reasonable" is a hard term to shoot for. How many reads do you want to process in how many hours? I will say that the minimum hardware I would want is an 8-core machine with 4 GB of memory. I suspect that would get through a 454 run -- contigs and singletons -- inside of a week.

Comment

blast problems

Thank you, another questionL I try to run blast and receive immediately a message: segmentation fault.
      What does it mean?

Comment

It means your program is trying to access a piece of memory that does not belong to it. The hardware complains and tells the OS and the OS sends a signal to the process and dies.

Take a look to see if any core file has been created. That file will have debugging data (stack trace) that can help you to figure out what part of the code caused the problem.
        -drd

Comment

Originally posted by drio View Post
          It means your program is trying to access a piece of memory that does not belong to it. The hardware complains and tells the OS and the OS sends a signal to the process and dies.

Take a look to see if any core file has been created. That file will have debugging data (stack trace) that can help you to figure out what part of the code caused the problem.
          I doubt if a 'core' file will help a novice user -- especially if they do not have a copy of the blast source code. Heck, I doubt if I even have the chops any more to work with a 'core' file and adb (or debugger of choice.)

I do agree that the seg fault is a memory related problem. Doing a google search on "blast + 'segmentation fault' " brings up over 6000 results. I suspect that one of them will help out 'litali'. My first suggestion is to see if you can run blast using one sequence versus a very small database. In other words reduce your problem down to something simple.

Comment

Originally posted by litali View Post
            Can anybody give me an estimation what are the hardware requirements to have BlastX locally installed run in a reasonable pace and work ok with 454 data?
            What database will you blastx against?
            ie. how many sequences/megabases.

What is a reasonable pace?
            ie. how many plates of 454 reads do you need to process per week?

Comment

as kind a intermediate user myself seg fault means to me there is installation/compilation error... usually compilation from source will help.

reasonable pace.... hmmm with my modest Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz
              and working with 454 too, howeve, bacterial genomes or metagenomes from few plates, when no results with overnight processes I try to find some other solution

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses