No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whole genome bisulfite sequencing in mouse: how many reads required

Hi,

I am going to do some WGBS in mouse, before I start, could you give an idea how many reads I need in order to have a good CpG coverage? or how many lanes of hiseq2000 per sample should I do?

Thanks

I would recommend looking at “NIH RoadMap Epigenomics Mapping Consortium” website: http://www.roadmapepigenomics.org/

As a ball point figure they recommend minimum of two biological replicates/treatment with combined 30x coverage (15x/strand). Most of available kits will result in fairly short insert (100-150 bp) bisulphite converted libraries suitable for 2x50 cycle sequencing. Assuming a 3 Gb mouse genome and 180 M read/lane output, each treatment will need approximately 5 lanes of HiSeq sequencing to obtain minimum recommended coverage.Taking into account mapping efficiency of 60-70% will increase lane number by 1.5-2 totalling 6.5-7 lane/treatment. So, for control and one treatment minimum of 13 lanes sequencing is required.

Comment

It depends on what you want to do with the data. I have a dataset where I used a single flow-cell with one sample per lane. That'd be about the minimum I could ever recommend. Your mapping efficiency should be upwards of 80% with mouse data, though you'll end up using a smaller portion of that if you QC things properly. I ended up with ~6x CpG coverage per-sample (in total >30x).

Depending on what you're doing, you might consider targeted bisulfite sequencing. There's now a mouse kit to target promoters and such (note, this isn't RRBS), so that might be a nice alternative. The costs and analysis can both become a bit more appealing then.

Comment

thanks guys

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
        I would recommend looking at “NIH RoadMap Epigenomics Mapping Consortium” website: http://www.roadmapepigenomics.org/

As a ball point figure they recommend minimum of two biological replicates/treatment with combined 30x coverage (15x/strand). Most of available kits will result in fairly short insert (100-150 bp) bisulphite converted libraries suitable for 2x50 cycle sequencing. Assuming a 3 Gb mouse genome and 180 M read/lane output, each treatment will need approximately 5 lanes of HiSeq sequencing to obtain minimum recommended coverage.Taking into account mapping efficiency of 60-70% will increase lane number by 1.5-2 totalling 6.5-7 lane/treatment. So, for control and one treatment minimum of 13 lanes sequencing is required.
        Originally posted by dpryan View Post
        It depends on what you want to do with the data. I have a dataset where I used a single flow-cell with one sample per lane. That'd be about the minimum I could ever recommend. Your mapping efficiency should be upwards of 80% with mouse data, though you'll end up using a smaller portion of that if you QC things properly. I ended up with ~6x CpG coverage per-sample (in total >30x).

Depending on what you're doing, you might consider targeted bisulfite sequencing. There's now a mouse kit to target promoters and such (note, this isn't RRBS), so that might be a nice alternative. The costs and analysis can both become a bit more appealing then.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses