No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper question

Hello everyone,

I just have a question about something I read on a paper(Burke et al 2010, 467, 587–590), which I dont quite understand...

This is from the methods

"Genome sequencing. DNA was extracted from 25 female flies collected from
    each of the ACO1–ACO5 and CO1–CO5 populations and pooled within selection
    treatments to make two Illumina paired-end libraries. We also created a library for the ACO1 replicate population only. The pooled libraries were each run on four (unpaired 54-bp) lanes of an Illumina Genome Analyser II, and the ACO1 library was run on a single (paired-end 36-bp) lane".

So the pooled samples, ACO1–ACO5 and CO1–CO5, were run using paired end... but below they say they were run in unpaired 54 bp lanes... so they were not paired end? btw paired end basically means they sequenced both strands... right?

TIA for your time!

Fred

Im completely new to these techniques, my only experience is with good old drhod sequencing. Im guessing this is obvious for most of you here, so I ask... can anyone point me to a accessible guide that explain how this Illumina NGS works?.

Paired end means that they would have sequenced a short stretch from either end of the fragments cloned in the library.

In this case it sounds like they used paired end adapters to create their library, but then ran these as a single end sequencing run. The paired end Illumina adapters are compatible with either a single or paired end sequencing run so many people (ourselves included) will generate a paired end library, even if they only intend to sequence one end. It means that you always have the option of doing paired end sequencing if you want to, and the cost of library production is the same in either case.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses