No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HtSEq count multimappers

Hi,
    I am new to RNASeq analysis and have some sequences aligned by STAR.
    I am planning to use HTSeq count to generate an input file for DeSeq, but learned now that HtSeq will discard multi-mappers. Is there a way to make it accept multimappers? Or is there another program like easyRNASeq that does not discard multimappers? I do have 10-35% multimappers in my data set.
    Thanks!

Why do you want to keep them. You cannot know where a multimapped read comes from and retaining it increases the potential error.

Comment

Thanks Chadn.Can't we set an upper limit for the multimappers (I guess cufflink uses 10) so that many genuine multigene family members are counted and repetititive sequences are not?

Comment

But that makes the assumption that your reads are indeed coming from annotated genes and not the repetitive sequences. If you try doing what cufflinks does, and disperse the value of the read amongst all of its possible mappings, then this will affect the variation in all the genes, because that read still comes from only one of them. I would especially be worried about this if you are dealing with samples that have large differences in the number of multi-mapped genes. Because that will affect the variation of one sample more than the other. Yes, you potentially loose data in discarding these reads, but you can also be more confident in the results.

Sometimes when you really go back and look at these multimapped reads, they are a mess and you realize that your results are the better for discarding them.

Comment

Yes it is not straightforward. But the junk reads among multimappers will end up not being annotated while meaningful ones will. Wonder whether anyone has tried this approach to get extract the useful reads out of multimappers.But the problem of how to assign reads among various positions still remain...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses