Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite web-based Gene List Tool?

The Question is : what are the good WEB tools for telling a story about a list of genes?

Usually I pop on over to David Genesets: http://david.abcc.ncifcrf.gov/ But it's got the norovirus or some other 48 hour type flu and is not working today.

Ideally a good web tool is not just a download a perl or java script and does not require registration or "prove you are a human" interface. A good site will have just "paste the genelist in and press go" interface and your get a sorted list with p (or z or whatever) values and links to more info.

Are there any good "gene list tools" that can identify pathways, common motifs or ontologies that you like and are easy to use???

I don't have a favourite, but in the last few days I've used:

and the UCSC table browser.

Basically I've got about 1200 microarray probesets (about 800 genes) that are attached to some more and some less accurate annotations, and I want to get a unique gene list with accurate mouse gene names and genome coordinates. MGI seems to be the simplest for this task.

Comment

I also usually use DAVID (and IPA, but that's not free), but since for my work I've found the Panther pathways to be the most helpful, I just go directly to the Panther website.

Here's a new one I've come across that looks to be similar in concept to the other enrichment/pathway tools, but I haven't used it just yet since I got busy with other things.

Comment

The Concept Gen. Looks interesting. I don't quite get why they want people to log in. I don't think a lot of implementers "get" the concept of "frictionless" in web development. It's too bad people hide cool tools behind login walls.

The panther stuff looks okay. Thanks. Great tables but the Panther Pathways appear to have some very heavy-weight and buggy Java plug-in doing that java "garbage collection" seize-up your machine and have pretty fonts but no actual information type thing going on. It really needs some useability testing. Too bad. Sometimes, I wish people would keep it simple and just give the information in a nice PNG.

[ edit : I remember checking out Panther way back long time ago and the java plugin stuff was a mess ... so I guess it's still a problem ... maybe they can turn it into HTML5 ]
        Last edited by Richard Finney; 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Agreed. I'm wondering if since it was developed and hosted at the University of Michigan it's behind a login wall for security/legal reasons?

Comment

Right. It's probably a legal requirement. They probably need some "academic only" type deal for KEGG ( or some other resource) and they need to segment their market.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses