No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MALT/MEGAN question

Hello all,

I'm trying to use MALT/MEGAN for the first time through ubuntu. I have a FASTA file of some shotgun microbial sequences that I converted from an Illumina HiSeq FASTQ output and I'm trying it to run these through the examples in the MALT manual locally on my machine. MALT is properly installed universally, as is MEGAN.

Here's my command line for malt-build:

malt-build -i ./Viral_Reference/viral.1.1.genomic.fna.gz -d index -a2taxonomy ./nucl_acc2tax-May2017.abin -s DNA

I then did the following:
    malt-run -i 05C_test.fasta -d ./index -m BlastN -o .

it says it's coming back with 10,440 queries, 11 aligned queries and 22 num. alignments. This all seemed to work fine and produced the necessary tree and mapping files.

after doing this in the command line:
    MEGAN -g -f ./05C_test.rma6 -E

I'm getting the following:

Executing: load treeFile='ncbi.tre';
    Loading mapping file: ncbi.map
    Reading file: ncbi.map: 1266115
    Loading taxonomy file: ncbi.tre
    Reading file: ncbi.tre: 1266115
    Executing: open file='./05C_test.rma6';
    Alert - Open file failed: java.io.IOException: File has unknown type: ./05C_test.rma6

It seems this is an issue with the rm6 output format. My java is up to date-1.8.0_131. I don't think it is an input problem either.

One additional question:
    I can't seem to use -f to get an output of Tab or Text. it's giving me a kickback the -f and --format are not functional. is this a problem other users have experienced?

Thank you very much,
    AG

UPDATE 7/26/17:
    Looks like this is an issue with Ubuntu version of MEGAN not being compatible with .rma6 extension files. I opened the file just fine on the Windows 64bit version of MEGAN. I've alerted the developers about this issue.

Anyone else using MALT here?
    Last edited by AncientGenomes; 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM. Reason: Compatibility issue identified

different problem

Hi,
    I´m using MALT for the first time too and I have some doubts about building the index.
    My command line for malt-build is :

malt-build -i /mnt/Archives/BLAST_databases/nt/*.* -d Index -a2taxonomy /mnt/Cromosoma/mavila/mbravo/malt/data/gi_taxid-March2015X.bin --sequenceType DNA

It creates the following files:
    index0.idx ref.idx table0.db table0.idx

but they`re empty.

I will appreciate any comment.

Comment

Hi,

@mbravo , maybe the files are empty because you are using a gi_taxid table instead of an acc_taxid table in the parameter "-a2taxonomy /mnt/Cromosoma/mavila/mbravo/malt/data/gi_taxid-March2015X.bin".

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses