Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tool to map 454 reads onto sanger reads?

I have some very low coverage Sanger sequencing data for a small genome that I would like to try to 'expand' using a higher coverage 454 data set.

Should I just assemble the 454 reads and map the Sanger sequences onto the contigs?

Any advantage in trying to map the 454 reads onto the Sanger reads?

Cheers,
    Dan.
    Homepage: Dan Bolser
    MetaBase the database of biological databases.

I suppose that you are trying to do assembly.

The 454 GS Assembler (newbler) software support hybrid assembly with Sanger + 454 data. You could do one big assembly including all the Sanger and 454 data.

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
      Should I just assemble the 454 reads and map the Sanger sequences onto the contigs?
      Any advantage in trying to map the 454 reads onto the Sanger reads?
      Unless your existing Sanger consensus hasn't been the work of weeks or months of manual contig joining and finishing, you probably want to do a full de-novo assembly with both the Sanger and the 454 reads.

I'd take either MIRA (because it has tagging features which point to differences between sequencing technologies) or CABOG for de-novo assembly of 454 and Sanger. Something important to notice: if the DNA used to do the Sanger sequencing and the 454 sdequencing is not 100% the same, you will find some differences between Sanger and 454 which cannot be explained by sequencing errors. Those would be real.

If you really just want to map to your existing reference, MIRA will also do this happily and even point out all the places where there are differences.

Regards,
      B.

PS: Disclaimer: I'm biased regarding MIRA, it's my baby See http://chevreux.org/mira_ex_454sanger.html for an example how a Sanger / 454 hybrid de-novo looks

Comment

Originally posted by BaCh View Post
        PS: Disclaimer: I'm biased regarding MIRA, it's my baby See http://chevreux.org/mira_ex_454sanger.html for an example how a Sanger / 454 hybrid de-novo looks
        Great! Then you're the person to ask... Which is better, MIRA or CABOG? ;-)

Thanks very much for the infomation above, I'll let you know how I get on.

Dan.
        Homepage: Dan Bolser
        MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses