Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here uses MUMmerGPU?

Hi I have problem building suffix trees using MUMmerGPU with human chromosomes. I tried with chr1 and chr22 but no luck so far. When I tried with an artificial sequence it works. Is it that the Ns are stopping it from working properly?

TA

B

Originally posted by brianlamx View Post
    Hi I have problem building suffix trees using MUMmerGPU with human chromosomes. I tried with chr1 and chr22 but no luck so far.
    Does it work with regular MUMmer?

Will MUMmerGPU really offer much improvement in speed?

Comment

Background The recent availability of new, less expensive high-throughput DNA sequencing technologies has yielded a dramatic increase in the volume of sequence data that must be analyzed. These data are being generated for several purposes, including genotyping, genome resequencing, metagenomics, and de novo genome assembly projects. Sequence alignment programs such as MUMmer have proven essential for analysis of these data, but researchers will need ever faster, high-throughput alignment tools running on inexpensive hardware to keep up with new sequence technologies. Results This paper describes MUMmerGPU, an open-source high-throughput parallel pairwise local sequence alignment program that runs on commodity Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) in common workstations. MUMmerGPU uses the new Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) from nVidia to align multiple query sequences against a single reference sequence stored as a suffix tree. By processing the queries in parallel on the highly parallel graphics card, MUMmerGPU achieves more than a 10-fold speedup over a serial CPU version of the sequence alignment kernel, and outperforms the exact alignment component of MUMmer on a high end CPU by 3.5-fold in total application time when aligning reads from recent sequencing projects using Solexa/Illumina, 454, and Sanger sequencing technologies. Conclusion MUMmerGPU is a low cost, ultra-fast sequence alignment program designed to handle the increasing volume of data produced by new, high-throughput sequencing technologies. MUMmerGPU demonstrates that even memory-intensive applications can run significantly faster on the relatively low-cost GPU than on the CPU.

(from: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/8/474)
      --
      Senthil Palanisami

Comment

Originally posted by brianlamx View Post
        Hi I have problem building suffix trees using MUMmerGPU with human chromosomes. I tried with chr1 and chr22 but no luck so far. When I tried with an artificial sequence it works. Is it that the Ns are stopping it from working properly?

TA

B
        The Ns won't affect. Just wanna check with you that you're using only one sequence to construct the suffix tree. I think MummerGPU don't support multiple sequences as reference.

Comment

Are you mapping READS to the human genome, or comparing contigs?

If using reads, there are much better tools like BWA etc that will give 1000x speedups compared to Mummer. If mapping large sequences, the GPUMummer gives no speedup compared to Mummer (see the graph).

Don't put yourself through pain unless you are forced to!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses