No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding deletions of length 20 - 50bp from 100bp reads

Hi

What would be the suggested approach to find deletions in the range of 20 - 50 bp in human data? The reads are 100bp illumina reads.

Any suggestions?

regards
    hubet

We have used a split-read strategy (described here) to find indels in this size range. Essentially, single reads are treated as pseudo-paired end reads, which provides single-base resolution for the size of the intervening sequence.

Comment

Originally posted by hrseq View Post
      Hi

What would be the suggested approach to find deletions in the range of 20 - 50 bp in human data? The reads are 100bp illumina reads.

Any suggestions?

regards
      hubet
      You may try Subread (set '-I' to be 50). When the specified indel length is greater than 16, it performs local assembly to find long indels.

Comment

You may also be able to shoehorn Tophat into doing this as well, because it also maps read subsequences.

Comment

Any RNA-seq aligner that can detect novel non-canonical splices can be used to detect deletions. I would recommend STAR, of course . The problem with using TopHat for this puprose is that it only detects "canonical" and "semi-canonical" intron motifs (GT/AG, GC/AG, AT/AC).

Comment

Hi
            I got something very basic and important before alignment. I hope that someone would please let me know this.

I have got raw sequence data (seq1.fastq seq2.fastq) from paired end Illumina2000 company and I used these Paired-End files directly to align with hg19 using BWA and Tophat(bowtie). I checked using grep and found that there enough N. I am wondering if this will impact on my allinment and subsequently on mutation/tophat calls.... OR a trimming is required before aligning these to remove N and then use in BWA ? Can BWA alone handle N and remove them, however, these will not aligned with hg19 so will automatically be removed... ??
            Expecting kind reply
            Thank you in advance
            jp.

Originally posted by alexdobin View Post
            Any RNA-seq aligner that can detect novel non-canonical splices can be used to detect deletions. I would recommend STAR, of course . The problem with using TopHat for this puprose is that it only detects "canonical" and "semi-canonical" intron motifs (GT/AG, GC/AG, AT/AC).

Comment

Can BWA alone handle N and remove them, however, these will not aligned with hg19 so will automatically be removed... ?
              This is unrelated to this thread topic, and also unrelated to the post that you quoted. Please post your question in a new thread.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses