No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fractal and entropy based sequence visualization

Hi folks,

in the early days of sequencing there were several fractal and entropy based visualization algorithms. These tools were very handy to get a quick grasp for patterns in the DNA sequences.
    I would like to analyze some of my reads (especially those, that don't map) with such algorithms.
    Does anyone know if there are already descent implementations of such algorithms for short read NGS data?

Cheers,

Peter

I think you need motif discovery algorithms to get the consensus DNA sequence, or a weight matrix. But you also should to know, those algorithms are very time consuming, especially when you have a huge amount of short reads.

Why you need such an application? For ChIP-seq data?
    Xi Wang

Comment

No I don't need it for ChIP Seq data. I just want to analyse some of my reads that don't map against any reasonable reference sequence. The reads that I am talking about look somehow repetitive, or of low sequence complexity, but they are definitely not from repeat regions.
      Thus I wanted to analyse them with algorithms similar to the ones e.g. described in "Dynamical Visualization of the DNA sequence and its nucleotide content" by Pasechnik et al.

Comment

I see. It is a nice tool. Did you get it from the authors?
        Xi Wang

Comment

The HilbertVis tool by Simon Anders might be useful - it allows visualisation of a long vector through a space filling curve motivated by Hilbert or Peano curves: S. Anders: “Visualisation of genomic data with the Hilbert curve”, Bioinformatics, Vol. 25 (2009) pp. 1231-1235
          Wolfgang Huber
          EMBL

Comment

Peter and Xi,

on closer reading of your posts, I realised that you are looking for something different. Sorry for the noise. Perhaps my post is still useful for something or -body.

Btw, making a plot like Figs. 3 and 4 in the Pasechnik et al. paper should be quite straightforward with R using the ShortRead and Biostrings package.
            Wolfgang Huber
            EMBL

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
            0 responses