No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary Metabolite

Dear all,

I got genome sequence From NCBI in gbk format and i converted into FASTA format. I would Like to know how to extract only the sequences which involve only in secondary metabolite function from the genome fasta sequence. Can anybody help me out to solve this problem.

I will happy and grateful to get help.

With regards,
    Aeolus

Are you experienced in writing scripts (e.g. Perl or Python) and working with a well-annotated organism? Then you could use the Bio APIs and parse the original GenBank file(s), matching the sequence records against certain functional annotation, such as the enzyme class (EC_number in GenBank) that you gathered from e.g. KEGG to belong to the kind of secondary metabolism pathways you are interested in.
    For some BioPython examples have a look at this link:
    http://wilke.openwetware.org/Parsing...Biopython.html

Comment

Hi Arvid,
      Thanks for reply!
      Yes I am working in Cyanobacteria genome strain 51142 which have well annotated sequences. I would like to separate the sequences which are involve in Secondary metabolism. So, I am little bit can handle bioperl modules. So ac You suggest some more help. It will be more well appreciated! :-)

With regards,
      Aeolus

Comment

I'm not a BioPerl user (I'm using BioPython), but I'm sure others can chime in on details if you post some code or specific problem (what you're asking for is still very general). Did you search for existing scripts for similar parsing already? I'm sure there are BioPerl tutorials for parsing GenBank files and selecting records and features based on annotation, like the link I posted for BioPython parsing.

EDIT: This HOWTO would be a place to start: http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:Feature-Annotation

Beware that everything depends on your definition of "Secondary metabolism", which you have to define very clearly to get useful results - e.g. one way would be to look up the appropriate KEGG pathways (you can parse the KEGG flat files with the Bio APIs as well) and make a list of "Secondary metabolism"-related enzyme codes. Then, parse the GenBank file and filter for enzymes codes contained in your list.
        Last edited by arvid; 02-07-2012, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses