Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong mapping with BBmap default parameters

I performed mapping for my RNA-seq data (150 bp reads) with BBMap, just the default parameters (the only special parameter set was low memory):
    Code:
    bbmap.sh ref=gencode.v29.transcripts.fa path=index_bb_lomem in=sampleA_1.fq.gz out=sampleA.bam overwrite=f usemodulo
    When I looked in the resulting sam file, I noticed that for many reads I had CIGAR string looking like this:
    2=4X6=11I1X7=1X3=1X14=1X2=1X1=1X15=1X3=2X9=1X9=2X21=2X23=1X5=
    This how the alignment looked (upper line is the read, lower is suggested hit):
    CAGAAGTCAAGGAGTAATTTAGGAGTAATTTTGACTTTCAAGTCTTATTACTTAATAAATACATTTCATAAAGCTACAGCTGCCATAGATAGTGATTCCTCTGATGGATCTGGGCAAAGTCAATTGAAAACCTTCTGGAAAGGAGTCACC
    ..TGGA......************G.......C...C..............T..G.G...............G...CT.........G.........GT.....................CA.......................T.....

It is clearly incorrect mapping: this read should be just assigned to unmapped. From 1414 reads assigned to my gene of interest (attached), 949 had editing distance of 21 and more (34 reads had distance of 40 and more, up to 357!), i.e. obviously didn't belong to that gene. It means that a lot of the counts I get with the default settings are totally wrong. I am wondering if this is normal result for the mapper and what parameters I need to adjust to avoid this issue - `minratio`, `minind`, or something else?
    Attached Files

Bit late, but you could do this

nmtag=f Write NM tags.

and then filter by NM = number of mismatches later.

This might be easier:

editfilter=-1 Ban alignments with more than this many edits.

OR also

idfilter=0 Independant of minid; sets exact minimum identity
    allowed for alignments to be printed. Range 0 to 1.
    (set to 0.95 ?)

subfilter=-1 Ban alignments with more than this many substitutions.
    (set to 5 ?)

Comment

Colin, thanks a lot for your input!
      (Unfortunately for now I had to switch to STAR because it's hard to get help for BBmap questions while STAR's author is very responsive and helpful)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses