|09-12-2016, 08:22 AM||#1|
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Join Date: Oct 2008
Technical Support Scientist, Bioinformatics
This position is for a customer and field facing Bioinformatics Applications support person who will be based in our Menlo Park, CA headquarters with occasional travel to assist field applications scientists or to perform trainings.
Pacific Biosciences is seeking a Bioinformatics Scientist with a strong customer focus to support analysis for collaborators and customers using SMRT® sequencing data. The candidate will employ expertise in bioinformatics, data analysis, biological insight, software engineering, and systems administration. The ability to communicate with customers and internal engineers, to interact with marketing, and to communicate results to diverse audiences, are important aspects of this role.
We are building a multi-disciplinary team to establish a world-class Technical Support organization in support of our field-based teams and customers. Our ideal candidate is a well-rounded top performer who can be a key contributor in a high-energy growth environment.
- Participate as a key member of a diverse group of Technical Support Scientists and Engineers.
- Assist customers with Experimental Design, Software installation/upgrade, and Data Analysis questions or complaints in a timely manner. Issues can be received via phone, email, and the Web.
- Problem-solve to overcome technical challenges during installation or use of Pacific Biosciences analysis tools.
- Triage and dispatch issues requiring field support to Field Applications Scientists and Engineers.
- Log and manage case details using Salesforce CRM.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of a troubleshooting guide to capture lessons learned and solutions to cases.
- Represent our Customers, the Field and Technical Support Teams on Core teams in the development and delivery of new systems, software, and consumables.
- Utilize Pacific Biosciences analysis tools and also open source academic tools to support customer projects for target applications.
- B.S. or higher (Ph.D. preferred) in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Genetics or related disciplines, along with 3+ years of relevant industry or academic experience.
- Preferred 2+ years of customer support, field service, or technical training.
- Customer-focused individual with the empathy and skills to understand and address customer concerns.
- Must have a “can do” attitude and be comfortable in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter who is able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have excellent troubleshooting abilities.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Ability to balance several projects and customers concurrently.
- Hands-on experience in analysis of next-generation DNA sequencing data for various applications including variant calling, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, 5mA detection, etc.
- Hands-on experience with common DNA sequence analysis tools and workflows such as sequence alignment, genome visualization, comparative genomics, sequence/structural variation discovery, and epigenetics
- Hands-on experience in scripting languages (python) and software development practices.
- Hands-on experience in distributed computing (SGE, PBS, LSF)
- Some experience with Linux administration, permissions, network configuration
- Knowledgeable in molecular biology, and biochemistry laboratory techniques.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.