SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
solexa genomic adapter and pictures? seqgirl123 Illumina/Solexa 38 05-16-2013 06:00 AM
adapter ligation - Illumina Celia Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 03-29-2011 12:06 PM
Adapter Ligation Question johnmillsbro Illumina/Solexa 3 07-13-2010 09:09 AM
Ratio in Adapter-Ligation mestro2 Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 05-27-2010 04:29 AM
help: time of adapter ligation lvxiaobao Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 12-24-2009 07:37 AM

Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
seqgirl123

Default solexa adapter ligation question

I am following the Solexa genomic DNA library prep protocol. I ran a gel after I sheared at 250bp, end repaired, 3'A extended, and ligated the genomic DNA to the adapters. I ran a gel on the ligated material in Lane 1. I also ran a gel on the DNA where the same things were done but I eliminated the 3'A extension step in Lane 2. Lane 3 contains DNA ladder.

Lane 1 material gave a band/smear around 250bp. Lane 2 material showed high molecular weight DNA.

If I understood how the adapters work from Solexa correctly, the adapters are double stranded and there is a T on one strand (3' end) of the adapter and the other strand (5') is phosphorylated? So, the 3'T on the adapter will ligate to the 3'A on the DNA and the 5' phosphorylated end of the adapter will ligate to the 5'phosphate on the blunt ended DNA?

And what I'm seeing in the gel in Lane 1 is right because the adapters cannot ligate together due to the incompatibility on their ends. They have Lane 2 shows DNA reannealed to itself and cause the high MW product.

Does this all sound right?

If yes and the 5' end of the adapter is phosphorylated, why doesn't this anneal to itself? Or where is the adapter phosphorylated if at all??
seqgirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
EPICENTRE
Registered Vendor

My understanding is that they use a standard A-tailing. The genomic fragments have 3'-A tails. The adaptors have a 5'-T overhang, not a 3'. This way you should get slightly improved ligation due to the 1-bp annealing in the ligation rxn. The overhangs also will prevent concatemers from forming.
EPICENTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Nihilo

My question might be naive, but the adapters should be able to ligate to either end of the DNA, right ? If this is the case, you would end up with some products with the same primer at each end ...and these products cannot be sequenced since the sequencing primer is specific to only one adapter ... am I missing something ?
Nihilo is offline   Reply With Quote