SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open source tools for 23andMe data adaptivegenome Bioinformatics 6 02-10-2016 07:45 AM
coomercial or open source tool for CNV from sequence data mathew Bioinformatics 5 08-26-2012 10:15 AM
Miso's open source joyce kang Bioinformatics 1 01-25-2012 06:25 AM
Targeted resequencing - open source stanford_genome_tech Genomic Resequencing 3 09-27-2011 03:27 PM
EKOPath 4 going open source dnusol Bioinformatics 0 06-15-2011 01:10 AM

Old 06-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
sklages

Smile Open Source LIMS: openBIS or GNomEx

After investigating some time in searching for a free LIMS well suited for NGS (some HiSeqs2500, optionally some 454) I found two systems to be a potential candidate.

openBIS [1]
GNomEx [2]

I was wondering if someone has one of these systems running (in daily routine). Before running some "deep tests" I'd like to gather some experiences, some "pros" and "cons", advantages or disadvantages.

Other (lightweight) LIMS like Sierra or Galaxy-LIMS are nice but too lightweight ;-)

Any comments?

[1]=http://www.cisd.ethz.ch/software/openBIS
[2]=http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnomex/
sklages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
DRYTCYV

Hi,

Any feedback?
Some months ago i asked about Gnomex feedback (in LinkedIN) and someone told me about some bugs, and that was a reason to uninstall it.
DRYTCYV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
sklages

Hi,

well, bugs, OK not very uncommon. I tried Gnomex last year and was quite disappointed concerning support (or any feedback/help) and documentation. Currently I am testing MISO (http://www.tgac.ac.uk/bioinformatics...ormatics/miso/) which looks very promising. The developers are nice and very helpful ...
sklages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
tdisera

Default GNomEx improvements

I am the principal developer of GNomEx. We now have a full development team devoted to improving the application. The documentation has improved and the install is less error-prone. I'd appreciate any feedback from folks who have tried it out in the last year. Although we are focused on meeting our core facility's needs, it is always helpful to hear where the software falls short and excels. Thanks!
tdisera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:35 AM   #5
clolalan7

Default GNomEX install

Good morning,

I am currently investigating the available LIMS for our new Epigenomics core, and GNomEX is one that I find interesting.

I have spent a great deal of time trying to install it over the long weekend. I cannot say I am an expert, but I have installed a couple of open-source applications and I think the instructions still require improvements. At best, they look like a copy/paste of the settings at the Utah university.

I think the tool looks really great (from the images I have seen and the guest login I used). But at the moment, the install is making me consider the other possibilities.
clolalan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
Hoxus

Hi,

I have tried some LIMS, and my best choice are (not sorted): MISO, GNomEx and openBIS.

openBIS is really simple to install (push button).
MISO and GNomex are a bit more painful.

I write here, after long time, because I find this post with google with Gnomex keyword.
I just finish to "install" Gnomex:
- after changing some file permissions, it's start... a bit.
- after adding j4log java jar file, it's start more.
- by now, I can log me, and I see a progress bar screen, and it's stop with message "There has been a system error, please try the request again".

Catalina logs say me that this error is SQL related, about an unknown column 'librarypre0_.codeRequestCategory' in 'field list'.

Gnomex developpers have made a fabulous work, and I can't code 1% of that.
But I don't manage to find any way to contact them with an issue/contact form. I will search again, about the error and about Gnomex developpers, and I will try to write an email directly.

edit :
I just found an form in sourceforge.

Thks

Last edited by Hoxus; 10-28-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: found an issues form in sourceforge
Hoxus is offline   Reply With Quote