SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
supplier for Illumina reagents M&Morenos Illumina/Solexa 3 02-03-2014 03:49 AM
Illumina nextra sequencing Bgansw Bioinformatics 2 11-05-2013 07:08 AM
Post-expiry Illumina reagents ilmns79 Illumina/Solexa 3 09-27-2013 12:10 PM
Bad Illumina Reagents aleferna Illumina/Solexa 2 05-13-2011 06:56 AM
What happens when Illumina sequencing reagents run out? picabo Illumina/Solexa 2 01-17-2011 07:46 AM

Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
crsimao

Default Illumina Nextra prep without using Illumina reagents

Hi everyone,
I was hoping some here could help me, i was wondering if there was anyway to sequencing on a miseq machine without having to use Illumina prep reagents. I know the cartridge that goes into the machine needs to be from illumina but i wanted to see if there is a way to do the prep without having to buy there expensive reagents.
crsimao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsimao View Post
Hi everyone,
I was hoping some here could help me, i was wondering if there was anyway to sequencing on a miseq machine without having to use Illumina prep reagents. I know the cartridge that goes into the machine needs to be from illumina but i wanted to see if there is a way to do the prep without having to buy there expensive reagents.
Realistically? No. I don't think so.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
bunce

By 'prep' do you mean library prep? - if so, then yes, there are lots of ways of building libraries that don't require Illumina kits. There are home brew methods and other suppliers (e.g. the NEB next range). If you dig a little deeper online you will find some protocols (e.g we use; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21431776) - the only advice I would give is to be certain of your adapter sequences as there are a number of historical tweaks that have been made.
bunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
nucacidhunter

Look at this paper for home brew Nextera library prep:http://genome.cshlp.org/content/24/12/2033.full It is only worth if you are going to prepare lots of libraries and have facilities for protein expression and purification.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Svetlana

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsimao View Post
Hi everyone,
Also, you can visit http://lucigen.com/NextGen-Seq/ to find protocols and kits to make fragment and mate pair libraries for sequencing on Illumina platform.
Svetlana is offline   Reply With Quote