SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Quiver from within a Python script verheytb Pacific Biosciences 2 05-28-2015 08:39 AM
R script to Python conversion bvk Bioinformatics 9 05-18-2015 01:35 AM
How would I go about calling BWA from a python script? prs321 Bioinformatics 6 07-15-2013 07:48 AM
python script modification of LSC0.2.4 ? arthur.yxt Bioinformatics 0 06-11-2013 01:32 PM
gatk python script m_elena_bioinfo Bioinformatics 7 11-20-2011 06:40 AM

Old 11-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
mavadhani

Default Python script for bowtie2 alignment

Hello All!

I am new to coding and am trying to write a python script to analyze a bunch of fastq files from RNASeq analysis. I am using the subprocess module to call bowtie2 in order to index the genome that is in fasta format. That works just fine. But I am stuck in the next step which is using bowtie2 to align the unpaired short reads to the genome. I know I am using the correct command as it works at the terminal generating a .sam file. But my python code is not working. Here are some of the ones I have tried--

#process = subprocess.call (['bowtie2_align', indexfiles, fastqFile1, Outputfile])
#process = subprocess.Popen(['bowtie2_align', stdin= indexfile, fastqFile1, stdout=Outputfile])

#process2 = subprocess.call(["bowtie2_align" (-x indexfile, -U fastqFile1, -S 'Outputfile.sam')],shell=True)

align = 'bowtie2_align' -x cellvibrio_index -U fastqFile1 -S initial_aligns.sam'

I would really appreciate any help/suggestions to fix this code.

Thanks,
-M
mavadhani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

It'd be something like:

Code:
subprocess.call(["bowtie2", "-x", indexBaseName, "-U", fastqFile1, "S", "Outpufile.sam"])
However, I highly encourage you to not do this and instead use something like snakemake. This lets you do things directly in python when you need to but also abstracts all of that away when you don't (like this example). Plus, you can use a cluster and in general more easily control things without reinventing the wheel for the umpteenth time.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
mavadhani

Thank you very much dpryan. I will certainly give snakemake a shot.

-Madhavi
mavadhani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowtie2 align, python, subprocess