Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• next_phred & Phaster - call for saving images from GA2

This was a very interesting read, slated for release in 2010, Phil Green presented some benchmark data

Can anyone share the actual presentation?

With images compressed 75% using an open tool, it will be interesting to go back to the debate of how much to invest in data management. Also, other base callers like pyro-bayes and SWIFT are out there, not sure how they compare, and what happens with Illumina's major release of semi-ordered arrays early 2010 (thats what I heard)

sm
    --
    bioinfosm

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
    With images compressed 75% using an open tool, it will be interesting to go back to the debate of how much to invest in data management. Also, other base callers like pyro-bayes and SWIFT are out there, not sure how they compare
    My experiments in 2008 showed that you could compress the images losslessly using the open JPEG2K-LS software to about 50% of their original size. This was Illumina GA1 data at the time. I have not re-tested since upgrading to GAIIx.

PyroBayes is for base-calling of .sff flowgrams from 454 GS machines. It is not for Illumina data.

That article was not written very well. Some of the numbers/percentages quoted are unclear what they relate to. No mention of de novo assembling (a la "phrap"). It is not hard to map reads better than Bowtie. Other mapping tools like MAQ do use quality information.

As for extracting more reads from the TIFF image, at a per pixel level, I suspect there is some information to be gained, but maybe not the 250% claimed. At the moment the GA Pipeline is effectively calling a read per bunch/cluster of pixels. Sure, you could call individual reads from pixels within the clusters (if well aligned) but they will have lower quality. So the current "read" can be considered a "consensus" read of those produced by next_phred.

I look forward to anything Phil Green produces, so let us hope more information becomes available soon.

Comment

any update on this?
      SpliceMap: De novo detection of splice junctions from RNA-seq
      Download SpliceMap Comment here

Comment

Originally posted by john_mu View Post
        any update on this?
        I have not heard anything since. I suspect the improvements made in the GA Pipeline 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 made it not worth developing further - but that is just a hypothesis.

Comment

I will try searching, but like Torst, seems not much of resources being put to developing that part
          --
          bioinfosm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses