No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• % unmapped reads

Hi all,

For any solexa run, we see 60-80% passing filter reads, of which 70-90% map to the reference sequence. There are quite a few reads that map to adaptors and other random sequences.

Does anyone know of a resource to get an average for those passing-filter reads? that map to adapter, etc and are essentially noise and not useful. I remember it being mentioned in some review as well, but cannot recollect

thanks..
    --
    bioinfosm

i'm not sure what exactly you want ("an average for those passing-filter reads")

but i've also noticed often two-thirds of the 30-10% of unmappable reads are alignable if you can tolerate a higher error rate.

from cloning random fragments i've noticed that 1/10-1/100 of cloned fragments from a sequencing library will have a truncated adaptor or multiple adaptors. since i didn't get my adaptors from illumina directly this could reflect contamination of my modified IDT oligos. it varied between library preps using the same batch of adaptors.

can you not just make a fasta file of the adaptor and iteratively truncate your read during mapping to such a fast a file to estimate it? i'd be more interested in seeing what what doesn't pass filter looks like, any idea how to get that data from the pipeline?

Comment

Originally posted by der_eiskern View Post
      from cloning random fragments i've noticed that 1/10-1/100 of cloned fragments from a sequencing library will have a truncated adaptor or multiple adaptors. since i didn't get my adaptors from illumina directly this could reflect contamination of my modified IDT oligos. it varied between library preps using the same batch of adaptors.
      I am wondering what makes the sequencer not report the adaptor sequences and exactly the very beginning of what we want to sequence. Or it will be quite normal to sequence the tails of adaptors.

Originally posted by der_eiskern View Post
      can you not just make a fasta file of the adaptor and iteratively truncate your read during mapping to such a fast a file to estimate it? i'd be more interested in seeing what what doesn't pass filter looks like, any idea how to get that data from the pipeline?
      Those not passing the filtering usually are with low quality scores, which indicates that the base calling may be incorrect or it is hard to call bases.
      Xi Wang

Comment

Solexa Sequencing of Paired Ends

Does anybody know what is the expected percent of adapter sequence that one would expect in a Solexa sequencing run?

I'm mapping this solexa paired end run and I had to mask away about 50% of the sample because it maps to the adapters. Is this normal? If so and we do this again, how would you minimize the amount of adapter sequence that you get in the library????

If it is not normal, is there any doc/spec that we can use to complain to the sequencing service and get it done properly?

Comment

Originally posted by aleferna View Post
          Does anybody know what is the expected percent of adapter sequence that one would expect in a Solexa sequencing run?

I'm mapping this solexa paired end run and I had to mask away about 50% of the sample because it maps to the adapters. Is this normal? If so and we do this again, how would you minimize the amount of adapter sequence that you get in the library????

If it is not normal, is there any doc/spec that we can use to complain to the sequencing service and get it done properly?
          It may depend on what you sequenced. RNA-seq? miRNA-seq?
          Xi Wang

Comment

just plain human DNA

Comment

I have no experience on plain DNA sequencing. But I think your problem may largely due to sample preparation.
              Xi Wang

Comment

But in what part, is that the main issue is that we provide the samples, but another lab did the Paired End preparation. If there was a problem in the paired end preparation we need to go back to this people and tell them that they made a mistake. Because its such an expensive test this can get really ugly and I don't have any reference to make the point...

Comment

How much do you expect in RNA?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses