Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [question] reads detected sequences out of sequencing primer in the other direction

Hi,

I've got a pair-end illumina sequencing data (100bp each end) for Ago iClip in mouse ES cell.
    majority of read pairs show that the inserted fragments are very short. As shown in the following example:

@DBRHHJN1:278:C11RFACXX:3:1101:1443:1167 1:N:0:
    ATAGGTATGCGCCACTGAGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATCTCGTATGCCGTCTTCTGCTTGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGCACAC
    @DBRHHJN1:278:C11RFACXX:3:1101:1443:1167 2:N:0:
    CAGTGGCGCATACCTATAGATCGGAAGAGCGTCGTGTAGGGAAAGAGTGTAGATCTCGGTGGTCGCCGTATCATTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACACAAGAGAG
    Above is one read pair. The underlined part of each read can be aligned with illumina PCR primers in the other end. And the 17bp part of each read is reverse complement to each other. This means that the insert fragment is only 17bp and the 100bp read go through the PCR primer (and sequencing primer) in the other end.

Could any one explain me what is the "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGCACAC" and "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAACACAAGAGAG" after the underlined sequences? How can I interpret them?
    The fastq score is low for these regions.

Here is the same reads with fastq score:
    @DBRHHJN1:278:C11RFACXX:3:1101:1443:1167 1:N:0:
    ATAGGTATGCGCCACTGAGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATCTCGTATGCCGTCTTCTGCTTGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGCACAC
    +
    @C@FFDDFHHHHHJJJJJIIJJJJJJJGHJJJJGIJJJJJJIJIJIIJIGHGGFC>ADBD@CDDDDDDDDDDDCCDCBDDDBDDDDB############
    @DBRHHJN1:278:C11RFACXX:3:1101:1443:1167 2:N:0:
    CAGTGGCGCATACCTATAGATCGGAAGAGCGTCGTGTAGGGAAAGAGTGTAGATCTCGGTGGTCGCCGTATCATTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACACAAGAGAG
    +
    CCCFFFFFHHHHHJJIJJJJJJJJJIJIHGIJJJJJIDIIIJJJJJIHIJCHFHHHHHFFFDDEDDDDDDDDEEEDDCCCBDB#################
    Also, I am curious what will be the reason for these short insert fragments during sequencing. After library construction, the results of bioanalyzer show that the average length of insert fragment is ~100bp.

Originally posted by SF_mallish View Post
    Could any one explain me what is the "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGCACAC" and "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAACACAAGAGAG" after the underlined sequences?
    After sequencing through the Illumina adapter the polymerase has literally reached the end of the line. There are physically no more bases being incorporated yet the software is "forced" to make a basecall. It's the equivalent of a wild guess.

How can I interpret them?
    You can't, they're meaningless.

Also, I am curious what will be the reason for these short insert fragments during sequencing. After library construction, the results of bioanalyzer show that the average length of insert fragment is ~100bp.
    It is very easy for peak of small/no insert fragments to hide in a BioAnalyzer trace. For extremely small library molecules like this a small physical amount of DNA can translate into a large molar amount.

Comment

Thanks kmcarr for your quick reply!

For the last point you mentioned,
      For extremely small library molecules like this a small physical amount of DNA can translate into a large molar amount
      Could you explain more detail about it, or do you have any reference for that?

The experiment was done by my lab mate. Actually, he measured the length of the total fragment, which contain ~70bp adaptors (like sequences for PCR primers) flanking the inserted fragment in both end. The peak of bioanalyzer result is around 240bp, so we interpret the average inserted fragment size is ~100bp. Will the results of this protocol still be affected by the reason you mentioned?

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses