Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina iGenomes GTF Files

Has anyone else noticed that the GTF files in the Illumina iGenomes collection don't conform to the GTF specification ? The attribute list must begin with gene_id then transcript_id whereas in the iGenomes GTFs it is gene_id then gene_name then either p_id or transcript_id. It would be nice if those extra attributes were at the end of the list so they worked with more programs.

Yeah, well Illumina has always been known about going off on their own. In any case I question a program that can not parse an arbitrary field. If the order of the attribute list *must* be in a given order then the specification should have just made room for two more exact columns instead of relying on programs to do the parsing.

Comment

In addition, has anyone noticed that the iGenomes file sizes for Ensembl (GRCh37) on Tophat (~10G) are different from the ones listed at Cufflinks (~5G). When I used the GRCh37 downloaded from Cufflinks I got 0 FPKM values for all my genes. This can't be right?

Has anyone else encountered this?

Comment

Originally posted by fongchun View Post
        In addition, has anyone noticed that the iGenomes file sizes for Ensembl (GRCh37) on Tophat (~10G) are different from the ones listed at Cufflinks (~5G). When I used the GRCh37 downloaded from Cufflinks I got 0 FPKM values for all my genes. This can't be right?

Has anyone else encountered this?
        Even though it's described as being ~5G, the actual download is ~9G.

Do you also get 0 FPKM when you use the GRCh37 from the Tophat site?

Comment

Yes. I tried both the iGenome GRCh37 packages downloaded from Tophat and Cufflinks and both genes.gtf file gave me 0 FPKM for all genes when I just used cufflinks with the -G parameter.

It seems that maybe the current archive version (archive-2011-08-30-22-38-04) doesn't work? Anyone else have problems?

Comment

It took me a week to drill back through my pipeline and work out these files were messing it up. In the end I got a fresh genome and GTF from ensembl, then used custom scripts to build all the various files req'd for picard, GATK etc. Its now working like a dream.

Lesson - if it looks too good to be true...
            @sidderb

Comment

Originally posted by sidderb View Post
              It took me a week to drill back through my pipeline and work out these files were messing it up. In the end I got a fresh genome and GTF from ensembl, then used custom scripts to build all the various files req'd for picard, GATK etc. Its now working like a dream.

Lesson - if it looks too good to be true...
              I actually ended up somewhat solving the issue. It had to do with my .bam files having have my chromosome number appended with "chr". While the GTF files, didn't have the "chr". Thus when it tried to quantify the expression it was as if there were absolutely no alignments to the genome. Was frustrating to figure this out.

Lesson - check to see if "chr" is appended to the chromosome number or not when dealing with datasets.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses