No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer for RNA-seq analysis

Hi,
    My lab is looking to get a new computer and I am trying to find something suitable for RNA-seq analysis. We have a few projects in the lab in which we hope to analyze transcriptomes with a reference genome, with a few lanes of Illumina Hi-SEQ data. We are looking for differential expression.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what kind of specs the computer would need (processors, RAM, etc) ?

Thank you

Originally posted by eggplant72 View Post
    Hi,
    My lab is looking to get a new computer and I am trying to find something suitable for RNA-seq analysis. We have a few projects in the lab in which we hope to analyze transcriptomes with a reference genome, with a few lanes of Illumina Hi-SEQ data. We are looking for differential expression.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what kind of specs the computer would need (processors, RAM, etc) ?

Thank you
    Hi,

I do quite a bit of similar work, I am currently shopping for a new computer.

With a reference genome, you don't need lots of RAM usually, but in some situations you might want to do some denovo sub-assemblies (e.g. if you are working with mutants or a different strain). Then you might need more. More RAM also lets you exploit multiple cores in some parallelizable situations.

The RAM choice is important because of choosing between a "consumer" workstation with non-ECC RAM using a Sandy Bridge chip like the Intel 2600K, or going with a server that can use ECC RAM with Opterons or Xeons. Usually the consumer boards max out at 32 GB, but that would probably be enough for what you are doing.

It really depends on your budget. If you can manage more than $4000 or so, I would recommend getting a server with ECC RAM. Something like this perhaps: http://www.avadirect.com/workstation...asp?PRID=13597
    beefed up with an SSD drive and two processors.

If anyone has some tips about good places to order such a machine I'd appreciate it (I have not ordered from avadirect before).

Comment

I'm managing with 24GB ram, and 12 Xeon X5650 processing units. The de-novo things I've trying to do are too memory hungry for the computer (except for Ray, which is impressively memory efficient), but mapping to reference genomes is fast enough for me (overnight for ~500M sequences).

Trinity is having trouble with the data in terms of memory usage, but I've still got a few things up my sleeve to simplify the sequences and reduce Trinity's workload.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses