No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple mutations in tha same gene

Hi there,
    I'm a postdoc in Boston (Longwood area). One of the projects I am developing includes sequencing (I am quite new in the field).
    I have some sequencing data that is giving me problems. Has anybody seen before several mutations (2-15) in the same region (10-2000bp) in paired end reads? thay have good coverage, mapping quiality and are not repetitive sequences.
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks!!

Do you mean you found them in individual reads (meaning that multiple reads covering the same region may not at all agree) or that you have multiple independent reads giving evidence for the polymorphisms? I've certainly seen that with Sanger sequencing of human DNA before. If you're looking at human DNA (rather than an inbred mouse strain or cell culture), you'll often find a number of SNPs.

Comment

Hi dpryan,
      they are in multiple independent reads and the DNA comes from a clonal culture from cells of an inbred mouse strain (BL6).
      thanks,

Comment

Can you comment on exact number of reads?

Are they all known to be of good quality (Q-scores) across the entire length of the read? Have the reads been trimmed?

Comment

Hi pg84,

To continue along the same line as GenoMax's response, do the reads in this area seem to arise from PCR duplicates (i.e. a single round of crappy amplification could be causing the results you're seeing) or do you indeed have multiple reads starting from a variety of positions and with both orientations covering the positions?

Also, can you give a little more detail about the nature of the cell culture? If these are already differentiated cells that have been reprogrammed or otherwise immortalized, then that process could have screwed up some of the proof-reading machinery (though, one would expect increased polymorphisms globally in such cases).

Comment

Hi GenoMax,
            Both the Qscore and the mapping quality are more than 30. I am not sure if the reads have been trimmed, I belive data was demultiplexed and aligned directly. We have checked some of those calls and they appear in the middle of the reads. and the number of independent reads are between 30 and 250.
            thanks!

Comment

Hi dpryan,
              duplicate reads were removed. we are loking at independent reads, they start in different positions and have differnet orientations. the amount of DNA was limiting, can that facilitate crappy PCRs? could that affect the independent reads?
              About the culture, clones were grown from single primary cells that have not been affected in any way. Cultures were kept in low O2 in a rich media that supports their growth as happy as they could be.
              I am looking for calls that appear in more than 30% of the reads, to look at initial events. So the polimorphism that could have arisen in the culture would be sorted out with the filters.
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pg84 View Post
                Hi dpryan,
                duplicate reads were removed. we are loking at independent reads, they start in different positions and have differnet orientations.

Thanks!
                You should perhaps put all ("duplicate") reads back in so you can have a more representative picture of which of the SNP's are more important than others. It is possible that you have a few reads with errors in them that are leading to a heterogeneous picture when looked at as a non-redundant set.

Comment

oh! I thought all duplicate reads should be removed

Comment

Originally posted by pg84 View Post
                    oh! I thought all duplicate reads should be removed
                    Perhaps not in this case. You could do that for ease of displaying against a reference but you will have to keep track of counts for each individual read that remains in the non-redundant set to give you an idea of the original distribution.

Comment

ok, I will try that.
                      thanks a lot!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses