• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding attachments to last post

I hope this time it will attach...
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey, I'm using IGV too. I'm just starting on it and I like it, It's a great tool.

Comment

Hi Jim, I started to use IGV and seems to be fantastic. I have maize RNAseq and sorghum RNAseq. For the first I used the built-in genome and was nice, no porblem with that. I would like now to mapp the sorghum reads and was nice too, but I can't see the genes in the lower window (I see the reads in the upper window). Let me explain what I did: I imported the sorghum genome in fasta and in the "gene file" I choosed a GGF file (Sorbi1_GeneModels_Sbi1_4_Sbi1_4.gff), but nothing appeared in the lower window. What I am doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

Comment

Hi,

This problem is usually caused by a mismatch in the sequence (chromosome) names between the gff and fasta files. The fix is to either rename the sequence names in one of the files (usually the GFF), or create an alias table as described below (look at the bottom of the page).

-- Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim, resolved.
            Regards

Comment

Is the IGVViewer site down?

Comment

It looks like all the Broad servers were down for a short period, they are back up now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

-- Jim

Comment

Hi all,

I am trying to use IGV to visualize genomic differences between yeast strains. Right now I am having trouble viewing data from just a single strain. The aligned data (using BWA) can be loaded and visualized in IGV with no problem. However, when i use samtools and bcf tools to make a pileup and then a vcf file I get an error when i try to the load the vcf file into IGV. The error says...

"Error loading features: Unable to find required field GT for the record; we don't yet support a missing GT field, at line number #### Unload track test.vcf?"

I tried loading a vcf file from the 1000 genomes project and it worked fine.

Any suggestions? FYI, I am totally new to this field so go slow.
                  Doug
                  www.sharedproteomics.com

Comment

Hi,
                    The error message indicates that you are missing a GT field for one or more records. This field is currently required by the code we use to read VCF files (taken from the GATK). I'll update this thread when this is resolved, apologies for the inconvenience.

Comment

Use "bcftools view -g" to call genotypes, which gives the GT field.

Comment

That worked. Thank you both.
                        Doug
                        www.sharedproteomics.com

Comment

Dear Jim,

I think the IGV is fantastic tool, thanks for developing it. I find several ways to improve the presentation. To my understanding it does not allow quick navigation by rolling the mouse and dragging the ruler. If implemented, this would be significant advantage over the existing online genome browsers, that have more static means of control. I have also found that the reference genome annotation may benefit from more colorful attributes, to delineate CDS from UTRs. An example display could be found here. Is there way to display multiple gene isoforms for human reference genome, like in case of CD44?

Thanks,

Alexander

Comment

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what you mean by "rolling the mouse and dragging the ruler". You can click and drag the view left and right as in google maps, drag the red rectangular bar, click on the cytoband, and use the keys (arrow, home end). There are also several ways to zoom. So please elaborate on specifics.

With respect to multiple isoforms, yes, right click on the track and select "Expand" or "Squished".

Best,

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for quick response. Now I see how the coordinates could be changed by dragging and how isoforms could be displayed. What I meant is that central wheel on he mouse that can control the zoom on the Google maps when scrolling.

Sincerely,

Alexander

Comment

Ah yes, that would be useful. But the scroll wheel is also used for scrolling vertically through tracks. Perhaps this could be a user preference.

Jim

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses