No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cuffdiff for between-group comparison

Hello everyone,

I have been using cufflinks to get fpkm values and then analyzing these using the JMP statistical package for identifying between-group differential expression (8 cases and 8 controls). Can someone tell me if there is a way to do this using cuffdiff as well? From my reading of the manual, it seems that giving cuffdiff more than 2 sam files causes it to treat the data as a time series, which is not the case for my experiment. I considered just merging all the sam files from the 8 subjects in each group, but that way I will lose the power of the multiple replicates.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Shurjo

I had a similar problem recently, and had to try another program (DESeq) for dealing with groups - unfortunately cuffdiff didn't support the use of replicates. With luck that will change in a future release!

Comment

Originally posted by blackgore View Post
      I had a similar problem recently, and had to try another program (DESeq) for dealing with groups - unfortunately cuffdiff didn't support the use of replicates. With luck that will change in a future release!
      How do you guys test relative isoform abundance changes among multiple experiments? Is it easy to do hypothesis test based on Jensen-Shannon divergence in R or SAS?

Comment

Originally posted by blackgore View Post
        Thanks for your feedback! I am also using DESeq as an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by xguo View Post
          How do you guys test relative isoform abundance changes among multiple experiments? Is it easy to do hypothesis test based on Jensen-Shannon divergence in R or SAS?
          I believe that Cufflinks has this functionality built in, using the algorithm that was published recently from the Wong lab (http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...reprint/btp113). However, I haven't gotten around to looking at this aspect of my data yet.

Thanks,

Shurjo

Comment

Originally posted by shurjo View Post
            I believe that Cufflinks has this functionality built in, using the algorithm that was published recently from the Wong lab (http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...reprint/btp113). However, I haven't gotten around to looking at this aspect of my data yet.

Thanks,

Shurjo
            cuffdiff extended the idea of using entropy to quantify relative isoform abundance and devised a hypothesis test based on Jensen-Shannon metric. However, as you said in the previous post, cuffdiff doesn't handle between-group comparison. Actually, it may be better to parse cuffdiff results and use other statistical package to do downstream analysis, which allows you more choices for differentially expression, clustering, and other things. I'm just not sure if there is any R package that handles Jensen-Shannon metric.

Comment

it also wasn't the focus of my project at the time, so I didn't worry about it too much, I'm afraid.

Comment

With my limited knowledge of stat I am trying to understand that DEseq basically do more quality control- normalisation etc and can also take replicates into consideration. Other than that if there are no replicates Cuffdiff/ Cuff comapre will provide the similar level of analysis. Any suggestion please.

Thanks

Comment

Cuffdiff handles replicates now.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses