Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to estimate the transcription level?

If I assemble the RNA-Seq data de novo,how can I estimate the transcription level?
    My first thought is to calculate the reads frequences of 3' ends,although it seems arbitrary.I use Velvet,generated .afg file may contain useful infomation,but how to analyze this file?Is there any good suggestions?
    Last edited by SolexaFan; 12-04-2008, 07:44 PM.

If you use an aligner, like SOAP or Bowtie, on your de novo assembled transcripts, you can count how many reads hit each RNA by looking at the output, and counting how many times each reference turns up. I don't see why this wouldn't be a fair estiamte of sequence abundance, at least of sequence abundance in the DNA you put on the Solexa. How much things change between your raw RNA and the DNA that goes on the Solexa is another question.

Non-unique hits are a little trickier, but you can set either program to either return every single hit found, or to return a random one each time, so I think you could compensate for either multiple splice variants, or highly homologous regions between transcripts.

I should think at some point you'd want to look at something like a Maq pile-up, to see if you have missed any splice variants, and darned if I can't get velvet to output anything like that, or anything that I can bend into such an display.

Comment

Hi swbarnes2,
      Non-unique hits and alternative splicing are what I am worrying about.I will try Maq to see if I could deal with Non-unique hits and alternative splicing .Thank you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses