X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artemis visualization of RNA-seq alignments

Hello everyone,

Juts a couple of quick questions:

1) how to increase memory usage for artemis? I tried to add java -mx250m -jar in front of my path in target field, but it just won't work. That should work (I took it from Sanger webpage), but there must be a small detail that I'm not doing right.

2) when I load sorted BAM file of RNA-seq reads against my reference genome, for some regions/genes I see some kind of peak i.e. reads seamed to reach a maximum and they are all equal (look at the picture, in red). That's certainly not normal... you guys have any idea what is it about?

3) There are two colors in my alignment in artemis (see picture). Why's that? I have single-end RNA-seq data and my libraries were not strand specific...

4) If I load two or more replicates as separate files, what artemis displays is a mean of my different biological replicates?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

For increasing memory edit the info.plist file in the Artemis folder. The protocol I use is for a mac but is as follows:

Artemis Memory Increase:
    Open Terminal and go to Artemis in Applications folder

Emacs Info.plist
    Change value as detailed below
    Control XC to exit & Press Y to save

Set the value in the file Info.plist in the
    directory Artemis.app/Contents. Towards the bottom of the file there are a
    couple of lines that look like this:
    <key>VMOptions</key>
    <string>-Xmx800m</string>

Changing the value after -Xmx will change the memory used by Artemis.

Comment

Thanks for your answer. However, I'm using Artemis under windows 7, so I even can't find the info.plist

TP

Comment

Originally posted by ThePresident View Post
        Thanks for your answer. However, I'm using Artemis under windows 7, so I even can't find the info.plist

TP
        Here is info for PC - is pre 7 but try and see if you can use it...
        To increase the memory allocation, create a shortcut for the Artemis program and right click on the shortcut icon. In the box which specifies the Target you will see the location of the program with which the shortcut is associated.

Place quotation marks around the target and infront of the target type: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\java.exe -jar -Xincgc -Xmx150000000 . If you are using Windows 2000 rather than Windows XP, type: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\java.exe -jar -Xincgc -Xmx150000000 .

Comment

Hi, I couldn't find a way to increase the memory. I have the artemis.jar on my desktop, and I created a shortcut to it. I tried putting in java -mx250m -jar in front of the target field but it just gave me "the name java specified in the target box is not valid". The C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINNT didn't help as well. I am using Windows 7. Can anyone help me with this, I am so confused.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses