Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to amplify libraries for RNA-seq?

Hi,

I have a relatively basic question. I am performing RNA-seq on some small tissue samples and I have constructed my first set of libraries for Illumina sequencing using the Ovation/NuGen SPIA system. My libraries are at about 2ng/ul concentration, or around 6nM. My question is: how do you known when to do PCR amplification of your libraries? I think that my RNA is concentrated enough to cluster directly onto a flow cell, but I have been told that amplification is usually necessary for SPIA. On the other hand, I would like to reduce amplification bias as much as possible.

Any recommendations here? Any rough guidelines that you use to determine whether to amplify or not?

Thanks in advance, zrl

Sorry, I have no experience with SPIA. If you can confirm your library concentration with qPCR (nanodrop, Qbit, and bioanalyzer are not good enough), PCR-free sequencing should be possible.
    What is the purpose of your experiments? In case you want to assess any kind of DGE, you should use protocols that you can maintain unchanged for future samples.

Comment

Thanks for your input, luc. I do plan to look at DGE and will make sure to use a consistent protocol between all samples. I have only quantified with Qubit, and plan to use Kapa qPCR to validate.

Comment

For the information of anyone else using SPIA: I have spoken to a couple researchers who have had significant difficulties sequencing their libraries when they have not done a PCR amplification following library prep. PCR helps enrich for fragments with both adapters, which might be the explanation.

Comment

How did you add the sequencing adapters to the library after SPIA? Did you then select for successful products with adapters on both ends? Normally PCR takes care of that for you by diluting out the failures, but if you do no PCR then you have a problem, especially if you used ligation, which is very inefficient. Perhaps your library can still be sequenced, but at the very least you need to quantify sequenceable molecules in your product (by qPCR) because this will be less than the total mass. KAPA has a nice kit with standards for this.

Comment

Originally posted by jwfoley View Post
            How did you add the sequencing adapters to the library after SPIA? Did you then select for successful products with adapters on both ends? Normally PCR takes care of that for you by diluting out the failures, but if you do no PCR then you have a problem, especially if you used ligation, which is very inefficient. Perhaps your library can still be sequenced, but at the very least you need to quantify sequenceable molecules in your product (by qPCR) because this will be less than the total mass. KAPA has a nice kit with standards for this.
            Thanks jwfoley. I did use ligation. I think that I now understand why PCR is necessary for enrichment of successful products, as well as why qPCR is also crucial. I do plan to use the Kapa kit to quantify.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses