SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tophat: how to define primary alignment qinbird RNA Sequencing 9 09-14-2014 11:40 PM
How to define XS tag aquleaf Bioinformatics 8 03-20-2012 11:17 AM
how to define a forward or reverse read file poorphd Illumina/Solexa 3 11-22-2011 12:34 PM
PubMed: Enhanced mismatch mutation analysis: simultaneous detection of point mutation Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 12-14-2010 02:20 AM
Cufflinks error - nonsense gene merge Daniel Bioinformatics 2 08-23-2010 11:31 PM

Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
yuanzhi

Default how to define nonsense mutation

From several genetics books I have read, nonsense mutations change a codon for an amino acid to a stop codon.

then how to define a mutation change a stop codon to a codon for an amino acid? still nonsense mutation?

Thanks
yuanzhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
bpetersen

I think you're looking for the term "readthrough mutation".
Have a nice day!
bpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Jon_Keats

Not a nonsense change for sure as that exclusively means the creation of a stop codon.

These changes that eliminate the proper stop codon and allow translation to continue on into the 3'UTR finally have an official nomenclature (http://www.hgvs.org/mutnomen/recs-prot.html) of "NO-STOP" changes. Though others (http://www.sanger.ac.uk/perl/genetic...ummary&id=5333) use "non-stop extension" which seems a bit more descriptive and I've also see them listed as "missense-stopcodon".

This is definately one of two special mutation classes, that being mutations of the initiating methionine and stop codon.
Jon_Keats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
yuanzhi

awesome! Many thanks to both of you.

Happy Holiday~
Old 11-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
yuanzhi

I just thought of another question. Can we call this readthrough mutation or non-stop extension as nonsynonymous mutation? Or, nonsynonymous mutation includes missense and nonsense?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
ntremblay

I would say it is a non-synonymous mutation as it cause a change in the translated amino acid sequence ...!
ntremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
mard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuanzhi View Post
From several genetics books I have read, nonsense mutations change a codon for an amino acid to a stop codon.

then how to define a mutation change a stop codon to a codon for an amino acid? still nonsense mutation?

Thanks
Just to let you know Ensembl class those mutations as "Stop lost".
mard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:45 AM   #8
laura

The ensembl database is a good place to look for what the different sort of consequences

This documentation lists them

http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/variation/index.html

For a consequence which is non synonymous it means the base change results in an amino acid change in the protein sequence
laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
bioinfosm

'Read through' are what they are called then!

We also recently saw quite a few 'loss of stop codon' mutations in exome data.. and was not sure how to interpret/annotate/log them
Old 11-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Jon_Keats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioinfosm View Post
'Read through' are what they are called then!

We also recently saw quite a few 'loss of stop codon' mutations in exome data.. and was not sure how to interpret/annotate/log them
This thread shows a common problem of lack of international standards and referencing. Last time I checked hgvs (www.hgvs.org) is a standards group that most follow or should follow. What you, your facility, your boss thinks is correct or even others follow is not a standard that deserves an exclamation mark in a public form!!

Thus "No-Stop"

Last edited by Jon_Keats; 12-01-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Fixed URL error noted by other participant
Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
laura

The Sequence Ontology group are defining a standard ontology for variant consequences

You can browse their resource here

http://www.sequenceontology.org/cgi-bin/miso.cgi

stop lost seems to be their term for this

http://www.sequenceontology.org/miso...erm/SO:0001578
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
bioinfosm

2 standards already then = "No-Stop" and "Stop lost"

I think the key is, enforce a standard locally, but be aware of the synonyms, because bioinformatics standardization is not present yet
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
Jon_Keats

Agreed, hopefully there can be a clear winner in the very near future. This thread started with a very junior question that has a definite unequivocal answer, as the definition of a nonsense change is well established and an accepted nomenclature for the type of event. Hopefully a standard can be reached soon, as the number of genome papers and data sharing will only increase and standardized nomenclature will becomes ever so important.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
laura

The Sequence Ontology consortium being the people who define ontologies in genomics/bioinformatics are trying to solve this problem by providing a standard ontology and being open to suggestions about additions or changes

Ensembl is certainly adopting the SO consequence ontology so lets hope others follow suit
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
Joann

Default harmonization

Nomenclature groups should strive for harmonization and cite the earliest published convention assembled by an authoritative group--for use in naming an identical concept/event, that is. Nuances and hierarchical relationships should be explored and articulated as part of gaining consensus. There is nothing like using exactly the right word in annotating sequence data, no?
Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:49 AM   #16
BaCh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Keats View Post
This thread shows a common problem of lack of international standards and referencing. Last time I checked hgvs (www.hgvs.com) is a standards group ...
You sure about that ".com" ending?

My company filter blocked me saying it was a gambling site. A quick search on Google gave www.hgvs.org as most probable address.

B.
BaCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
Jon_Keats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCh View Post
You sure about that ".com" ending?

My company filter blocked me saying it was a gambling site. A quick search on Google gave www.hgvs.org as most probable address.

B.
Opps my bad I've updated the link... thanks for the heads up