SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poly-A or Ribosomal RNA depletion NicoBxl Illumina/Solexa 25 12-13-2011 11:35 AM
RNA-seq poly-A vs ribo minus Inti RNA Sequencing 2 10-18-2011 12:23 PM
RNA-Seq: A multiplex RNA-seq strategy to profile poly(A(+)) RNA: Application to analy Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 04-26-2011 04:00 AM
RNA Seq Poly A, TopHat kouroshz RNA Sequencing 0 02-21-2011 06:44 PM
RNA-Seq and Poly(A) Bio.X2Y Bioinformatics 1 04-29-2010 07:02 AM

Old 11-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
SS00
PhD Student

Lightbulb Why can't I just add Poly A to my Total RNA?

Hi all,

I have been weighing up my options with low input RNA. A bit of a debate has been going on regarding Poly A vs Total RNA in my lab. I would love to do Total RNA but I am not in love with the sample prep kits.

The options I am currently weighing up are Total RNA with TotalScript (I don't particularly love Nextera) and Poly A RNA with SMARTer (I particularly love this kit for amplifying the whole length of RNA and not using random primers).

Well, I had an idea that could let me have my cake and eat it too - what if I made all my RNA Poly A after Ribo Depletion and just used the SMARTer kit? It seemed so simple that I bet I am not the only person who thought of it which makes me think there is a reason why companies don't just do this.

What would be the drawbacks of converting my total RNA to Poly A and using a Poly A prep?

Help appreciated - thanks!
SS00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mrna, poly a, rna-seq, total rna