Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA editing

I am trying to see if I can find possible RNA editing at genome level. Is there a reference protocol how to prepare sample for sequencing. Can I just follow the protocol of RNA- seq?
    How much coverage may be optimal? Finally is there any tool available which can help me to analyze the aligned data. I know I can use Sam tool but looking for any commercial software.

Thanks for your help

Hi,
    This is interesting. Beyond RNA editing events you may also find some of these controversial RNA-DNA Differences.

I would use the GATK SNP calling module (or SAMtools) on RNA-seq data. Ideally on Re-seq data too -from the same sample- and compare.
    Coverage is a tricky point because it will depend on gene expression levels. Also, I am not sure about how well would the standard SNP calling methods work on RNA-seq data.

Any idea? Has anyone tried this already?

Comment

Anyone interested in RNA editing and RNA/DNA differences should definitely take a look at this paper:
      RNA editing is an important cellular process by which the nucleotides in a mature RNA transcript are altered to cause them to differ from the corresponding DNA sequence. While this process yields essential transcripts in humans and other organisms, it is believed to occur at a relatively small number of loci. The rarity of RNA editing has been challenged by a recent comparison of human RNA and DNA sequence data from 27 individuals, which revealed that over 10,000 human exonic sites appear to exhibit RNA-DNA differences (RDDs). Many of these differences could not have been caused by either of the two previously known human RNA editing mechanisms—ADAR-mediated A→G substitutions or APOBEC1-mediated C→U switches—suggesting that a previously unknown mechanism of RNA editing may be active in humans. Here, we reanalyze these data and demonstrate that genomic sequences exist in these same individuals or in the human genome that match the majority of RDDs. Our results suggest that the majority of these RDD events were observed due to accurate transcription of sequences paralogous to the apparently edited gene but differing at the edited site. In light of our results it seems prudent to conclude that if indeed an unknown mechanism is causing RDD events in humans, such events occur at a much lower frequency than originally proposed.

Comment

Any experience with RNA editing

I agree this is a controversial issue but I think it may be worth pursuing any expert in this area please?

Comment

Let me continue with this post,

I'm looking for RNA editing on a non model organism (i have a 454 ref assembly and RNA-seq experiment). I found this wonderful app: ExpEdit (http://t.caspur.it/ExpEdit/), but unfortunately it's only valid for human genome. So right now, I'm with my pileup file trying to figure out how to trim and find the points where potential RNA editing is taking place.

Any ideas / pipeline how to get this, or maybe another program that allows you to include your reference sequence.

Thanks

Comment

What alignment software are you using? Are you guys running a indel realignment step before variant calling? What I see with mpileup is that samtools misses some of the reads(I believe, those spanning exons). Im also not certain if GATK can deal wide variance in coverage of RNA data.

Comment

Here is a list of interesting papers/posts on RNA-Editing that may be worth reading and considering, especially for careful methodologies to find editing.

RNA editing is a process that modifies RNA nucleotides and changes the efficiency and fidelity of the central dogma. Enzymes that catalyze RNA editing are required for life, and defects in RNA editing are associated with many diseases. Recent advances in sequencing have enabled the genome-wide identification of RNA editing sites in mammalian transcriptomes. Here, we demonstrate that canonical RNA editing (A-to-I and C-to-U) occurs in liver, white adipose, and bone tissues of the laboratory mouse, and we show that apparent non-canonical editing (all other possible base substitutions) is an artifact of current high-throughput sequencing technology. Further, we report that high-confidence canonical RNA editing sites can cause non-synonymous amino acid changes and are significantly enriched in 3′ UTRs, specifically at microRNA target sites, suggesting both regulatory and functional consequences for RNA editing.

Last edited by rnaseek; 05-17-2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses