Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie output zipped but not zipped

I have recently used Bowtie2 to separate out reads mapping to a set of genomes which which works fine however due to the size of my current dataset I had to input as zipped and output as zipped using the command below:

bowtie2 -f --threads 8THREADS -N 1 --un-gz NZ_bowtie_nonaligned_hungate_thread.done --al-gz NZ_bowtie_aligned_hungate_thread.done -x /ibers/ernie/home/thh32/thh32/mcCabe_qualtrimmed
    _trimmed5P_files_.fastq/Hungate1000_index_bowtie -U /ibers/ernie/scratch/thh32/alldata.fa.gz -S /dev/null

The process itself worked fine except for the output zipping. The files themselves were not acknowledged as zipped and so could not be unzipped, however the data inside looked like this:

�95j����q�?�k�6��t��<^L����N� ��m��(N��k9ߟ4�|^��!�\/�߹��M����33���}^�6���۩s�}wsUo/��|.e^6{��\��Sf��sz̋��A���9H�%WLO���u~

Is there anyway to convert this into fasta format again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Tom

That looks a lot like compressed data to me. Remember that zipping refers to gzip, not another zip variant. If you want to decompress then just use gunzip.

Comment

I thought it looked like compressed data so I tried using gunzip but gunzip wouldn't accept the file as a zipped file and so gave this error:

gzip: NZ_bowtie_nonaligned_hungate_thread.done: unknown suffix -- ignored

And with unzip it provided this answer:

Archive: NZ_bowtie_nonaligned_hungate_thread.done
      End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
      a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
      latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
      the last disk(s) of this archive.

Comment

Managed to sort it out by using mv FILE FILE.gz and then was accepted and can be unzipped

Comment

You just have to change the file name, since that's what gunzip is complaining about (the suffix in this case is "done", rather than "gz"). Try calling it "NZ_bowtie_nonaligned_hungate_thread.done.gz".

Edit: Ah, you just figured that out, good

Comment

One other methods aside from renaming the file is to use 'zcat'. As the manual says:

zcat will uncompress files that have the correct magic number whether they have a .gz suffix or not.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses