No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binary characters in cuffcompare result & Questions on cuffdiff

Hi,

I am using tophat/cufflinks packages analyzing my RNA-seq data. I found a small bug in cuffcompare.

After I compared my reference gtf with transcript.gtf, I got the combined.gtf. But, sometimes, I found some of the strand information was in binary character. For example, if I use "less" to check the combined.gtf, for some transcripts, the strand information is "^@". If I submit this combined.gtf to UCSC genome browser, it will say "cannot read xxx.gtf file". After I changed these binary characters into ".", it works fine.

Another question is, does anyone know how to set up the minimal threshold in the cuffdiff to do the test. For example, I have a gene expressed mildly in one sample (FPKM 8), but no expression in the other sample (FPKM 0). It is actually one of the most interesting genes I was looking for. But in the cuffdiff, it has the mark of "NOTEST", thus the significance is "no". Can anyone give me any help on this? Can I manually select these genes as differentially expressed genes, because they are expressed and actually the pvalue is also 0?

Plus, can I remove genes expressed in the low level manually, e.g. for genes with FPKM < 1? These genes dont look very promising...

Cheers,
    Jun

I'm glad I found this post. I was having the exact same problem and changing the binary character to "." fixed my (current) issues as well.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by nkwuji View Post
      Hi,

Another question is, does anyone know how to set up the minimal threshold in the cuffdiff to do the test. For example, I have a gene expressed mildly in one sample (FPKM 8), but no expression in the other sample (FPKM 0). It is actually one of the most interesting genes I was looking for. But in the cuffdiff, it has the mark of "NOTEST", thus the significance is "no". Can anyone give me any help on this? Can I manually select these genes as differentially expressed genes, because they are expressed and actually the pvalue is also 0?

Plus, can I remove genes expressed in the low level manually, e.g. for genes with FPKM < 1? These genes dont look very promising...

Cheers,
      Jun
      The cuffdiff -c option might be what you are looking for
      Code:
      -c/--min-alignment-count <int>
      This limits the differential testing based on counts - rather than FPKM. However, do you think it is wise/necessary to use this feature if what you want to say is that it is present in one condition and not the other?

Comment

Thx RockChalkJayhawk.

I will think about this part, though the result seems to be a little weird on genes expressed at low levels. For example, for this gene expressed in one sample with FPKM of 8, and in the other sample with FPKM of 0, the result is shown as NOTEST. But for the other gene, in one sample, the FPKM is 0.25, and in the other sample is 0. THe result is OK, and significant.

Possibly it can be explained by the second gene is longer, and the min-alignment-count could be higher than default setting and got the test significant. But I think it may be better to limit the result by FPKM (or average coverage) other than total fragments(or reads), otherwise, it may have bias on longer genes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses