SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nextera DNA library - low yield? sweetph3 Sample Prep / Library Generation 9 03-23-2014 03:03 AM
Library prep kit for low input RNA seq Agun Sample Prep / Library Generation 9 03-13-2014 12:26 PM
Low library yield Seqwork RNA Sequencing 2 03-06-2014 10:57 AM
Clontech Low Input Library Prep Kit slees Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 02-11-2014 09:24 AM
Library Prep with Low Input Joltex Ion Torrent 6 12-11-2012 12:13 PM

Old 01-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
jhalpin

Question Low yield after library prep

Hello,

I am using the Ion Shear Plus reagents kit to prepare libraries for the PGM. I input 200 ng of DNA (measured by Qubit) but am only getting 0.01-0.1 ng/ul at the end of the process. This is enough to continue to sequencing, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve the yield slightly.

I am shearing the DNA for 7 minutes, which looks really good on the E-gel. It seems like maybe the amplification step is not working? I use zymo instead of the Ampure beads for cleanup and elute in 100 mM Tris.

Thanks,

Jessica
jhalpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalpin View Post
I use zymo instead of the Ampure beads for cleanup and elute in 100 mM Tris.
100 mM Tris is too concentrated and would inhibit many enzymes. If Ion protocol uses 1.8x bead for clean up you can replace it with column clean up. For this application I would use "Q" columns. If the bead ratio is less than 1.8x, it does a small fragment removal as well and column may not be a good replacement for bead.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
jhalpin

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucacidhunter View Post
100 mM Tris is too concentrated and would inhibit many enzymes. If Ion protocol uses 1.8x bead for clean up you can replace it with column clean up. For this application I would use "Q" columns. If the bead ratio is less than 1.8x, it does a small fragment removal as well and column may not be a good replacement for bead.

Well huh. Looking back at my notes I wrote down 10 mM. Not sure when/how that turned into 100 mM. I guess I know why my libraries are weird now.

I'll check out the Q columns, too. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
jhalpin

Allright, fixing the Tris concentration didn't fix my problem. I'm inputting 200 ng and getting 0.02 ng/ul at the end of library prep. It's technically enough to sequence but it's really low.. I'd really like to be getting 10 times that at least, and I used to get that much. Any other suggestions??

Tags
ion shear plus, library construction